Diameter on Climbing Fixtures for Pink Toe Tarantula

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
I'm designing a new habitat for my pink toe tarantula (it's current home is just much to big) and I was thinking it would be cool to make some fake vines to provide some arboreal terrain. I'm using 1/2 inch diamiter rope and clear gorilla glue to attach coco fiber to make the vines and was wondering if the rope is too small a diameter and could cause my T to fall. Any advice would be appreciated!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Pink Toes lives mostly in trees, sometimes in wide leafed plants. Vines aren't their normal habitat so emulating them would be for your own enjoyment, not theirs. 1/2" is too small. My bark for my arboreal Ts is wider than their lateral leg span (which can be +4") and that serves them well

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Noted! I'll try and track down something a bit larger then and see if I cant make leaves to go along with it

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
have a piece of bark that is 2/3rds to 3/4s the height of your enclosure. Have it also about 1/3 to 1/2 the width. Tilt it slightly backwards. Make sue a T can come over the top and around both sides. Add some leafs near the top and you are done. If you do a search here, there is a wealth of avicularia information

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Gotcha, would it also be wise to make some sort of expanding foam background on the parts not covered by bark to make it easier to climb?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
not needed, you can do it to satisfy your aesthetic. Some people do cork back walls as well, some cages come with foam back walls included.

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Alright, thank you so much for all the advice by the way! I'm rather new to keeping tarantulas and tired to do as much research as I could before I adopted my T, but I'm still learning