Destroying your pet's burrow.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there a downside to destroying my pet tarantula's burrow?

The upside is that I can monitor its growth, and I get to see it build another burrow.

But what effect, if any, does this have on the spider? It might be temporarily stressed, sure. But is that really all that bad? I mean, in the wild, animals would be trying to EAT it. So how much does it really hurt the tarantula to destroy its burrow just so it has to build another one?

And before you start accusing me of abusing animals AGAIN, let me say that I ask just out of curiosity. Do not assume that I have ever intentionally detroyed my tarantul;a's home, or that I ever intend to do so.

So, JUST out of curiosity, does anyone know just how harnful it would be to destroy my tarantula's home so that I would get to see it more often?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I start missing a burrower then i will occasionally dig it out to get a look at it. Also if they stoip eating and I expect a molt I will dig them out as well so that they molt on top and I dont have to worry about them. THey usually just dig another one when they are ready.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i do it once in a while. like you said, nature isn't as caring for tarantulas as we are... they deal with it.

i just make sure it ISN'T anywhere near a molt... Jacen, i don't think destroying it's solitude is such a great idea when they're about to molt.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dug out my Usambara a while ago becuase I thought it was going to die.
I reduced the amount of substrate, gave it a branch, and it built a damn great arboreal web!

My P murinus however, I leave alone. I tried him with shallow substrate and he sat hunched in the corner despite available log shelter. Since I replaced it he built an underground cavern in the corner of the tank so I can still see him :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by whoami?
Really depends on the species. Aside from the stress of being dug up, many T's use burrows as a means to regulate humidity and to avoid stressful stimuli. If you destroy it's burrow, until it builds another one, it may be stressed out by things going on around it as well as not having it's humidity needs met. Two good things to put your T on a downward spiral IMO. If you want to see your T, don't get one that burrows. There are plenty of species out there....

Scott

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get a squar peice of foam...... Cut it in half, and hallow the rest out until theres nothing left but about half a square(I hope im making sence) Then put it in a corner of the tank.. This will provide your T with the comfort of being a burrow and you can observe it from outside the tank.. Thats what im doind and it works well.. Hope I made a little sence;P

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by whoami?

The upside is that I can monitor its growth, and I get to see it build another burrow.

But what effect, if any, does this have on the spider? It might be temporarily stressed, sure. But is that really all that bad? I mean, in the wild, animals would be trying to EAT it. So how much does it really hurt the tarantula to destroy its burrow just so it has to build another one?

And before you start accusing me of abusing animals AGAIN, let me say that I ask just out of curiosity. Do not assume that I have ever intentionally detroyed my tarantul;a's home, or that I ever intend to do so.

So, JUST out of curiosity, does anyone know just how harnful it would be to destroy my tarantula's home so that I would get to see it more often?
Well you could disturb my new H. Lividum's burrow if she/he had one. At this moment it's just trying to get acclimated to its new surrounding after a stressful overnight trip to the petstore I bought it from.