Dessert hairy setups

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Hi y'all, I'm thinking about picking up a Hadrurus arizonensis at the next expo I go to, I'd love to see some of yalls tank setups so I have a better idea of how to set mine up before hand.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
It can be pretty simple. Sand with a couple of hides. Put one hide over a moisture retaining substrate area like coco fiber. Oh and the obligatory plastic cactus.Ha ha. Dried cholla looks good.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
It can be pretty simple. Sand with a couple of hides. Put one hide over a moisture retaining substrate area like coco fiber. Oh and the obligatory plastic cactus.Ha ha. Dried cholla looks good.
I'd recommend sand with clay in it so that the burrows won't collapse.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
4in of it well enough? I was thinking about trying to use a live soft needle cactus y'all have any experience with that?
I don't actually have one, but I am thinking about getting one in the future. I'd recommend more substrate (8"), but 4" won't hurt it. Make sure that the scorp eats his prey if you use the cactus. You don't want toxins to bioaccumulate in the scorpions systems, if it has any.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I don't actually have one, but I am thinking about getting one in the future. I'd recommend more substrate (8"), but 4" won't hurt it. Make sure that the scorp eats his prey if you use the cactus. You don't want toxins to bioaccumulate in the scorpions systems, if it has any.
I'm not sure what you mean? The cactus toxins? I believe most cactus would be safe, although I'll of course do my research before hand. Also I plan on getting some blue death feigning beetles to help clean the tank

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Adding some clay is a good idea. I personally never liked cactus in the enclosure as it just always seemed to make maintenance a little tricky. Getting stuck by a cactus barb might give you quite a shock thinking you got tagged by the scorpion.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Adding some clay is a good idea. I personally never liked cactus in the enclosure as it just always seemed to make maintenance a little tricky. Getting stuck by a cactus barb might give you quite a shock thinking you got tagged by the scorpion.
If I do get a cactus it'll be a soft spines, not the really long pointy kind. I also usually remove a scorpion if I'm going to do any serious tank work

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
H. arizonensis is a burrowing species and live in arid regions. With temperatures 74°-84°F they do fine, the upper range is best.
A mix of sand and excavator clay, firmly packed and dried out, is what is normally provided. A mix of soil and sand will also work, but you might have a tunnel collapse. Not a huge deal as they will dig themselves out in short order.
In my photo: clay/sand mix substrate, a water dish (they do drink from time to time) and a piece of cork w/h foilage to be more eye appealing. My grandson added the scallop shell, he said "So it can hear the ocean. Pawpaw!".

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
H. arizonensis is a burrowing species and live in arid regions. With temperatures 74°-84°F they do fine, the upper range is best.
A mix of sand and excavator clay, firmly packed and dried out, is what is normally provided. A mix of soil and sand will also work, but you might have a tunnel collapse. Not a huge deal as they will dig themselves out in short order.
In my photo: clay/sand mix substrate, a water dish (they do drink from time to time) and a piece of cork w/h foilage to be more eye appealing. My grandson added the scallop shell, he said "So it can hear the ocean. Pawpaw!".
Who doesn't want to hear the Ocean? :D