Desert Tarantulas

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all I wondering what desert dwelling tarantulas there are out there?

I was at AC Moore and it was going out of business and they had all there artificial plants and “enclosures”, I’m converting, on sale, got some plants for $0.12 each. And I loved all the desert decorations, and started to put together a juvenile desert styled enclosure.
What tarantulas/spiders would works well for this? Could be terrestrial, arboreal, or fossorial. Arboreal would looks really nice in it, based on its design.

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
I don’t know many species but Aphonopelma Chalcodes is one, and the Mexican sp of T’s

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t know many species but Aphonopelma Chalcodes is one, and the Mexican sp of T’s
Okay thanks! Not sure what you specifically mean by Mexican species, do you have a genus?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Aphonopelma and brachypelma are from the southwestern United States and Mexico.
Okay thanks for the info!

And based on their husbandry I guess C. cyaneopubescens would also work but I don’t think they are specifically desert dwelling in nature

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
And based on their husbandry I guess C. cyaneopubescens would also work but I don’t think they are specifically desert dwelling in nature
They are from the desert areas in Venezuela. Scrublands, can be found webbing up small bushes and cactus plants so I would say yes to being a desert dwelling species.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They are from the desert areas in Venezuela. Scrublands, can be found webbing up small bushes and cactus plants so I would say yes to being a desert dwelling species.
Okay thanks for the clarification!!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the pic!! So would GBB’s do well on like a sand/clay mixture? To give it that more desert look instead of the brown coco sub.?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When you look this info up on google, let us know what you find. There many species that live in dry climates, and quite a few that live in desert-like regions.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
When you look this info up on google, let us know what you find. There many species that live in dry climates, and quite a few that live in desert-like regions.
Well IMO there’s a lot of bad information online that’s why this forum exists so that there can be a consistent amount of correct information relating to tarantulas and peoples direct experience keeping them.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Based on the first message, it sounds like it is decorations that just look desert-y aesthetically. Am I interpreting that correctly? If so, it doesn't have to be a desert species, it can be another with sub that's more moist. Unless you want to have the climate inside the enclosure match how it looks, of course.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Based on the first message, it sounds like it is decorations that just look desert-y aesthetically. Am I interpreting that correctly? If so, it doesn't have to be a desert species, it can be another with sub that's more moist. Unless you want to have the climate inside the enclosure match how it looks, of course.
Of course it doesn’t have to match, but it would be nice to make it match, ya know?

corydalis

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the pic!! So would GBB’s do well on like a sand/clay mixture? To give it that more desert look instead of the brown coco sub.?
I don't think it would bother them, btw they would also do perfectly fine on coco fiber alone imo.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don't think it would bother them, btw they would also do perfectly fine on coco fiber alone imo.
thats what I currently have my gbb’s on but I want a light colored substrate to get that more desert look (sand/clay)

I just really enjoy putting effort and thought into enclosures, it’s one of my favorite parts about keeping inverts.

corydalis

Arachnosquire
I just really enjoy putting effort and thought into enclosures, it’s one of my favorite parts about keeping inverts.
Got you, I also find it satisfying. Mixing with sand and coco fiber, the clay isn't a bad option, it will give some stiffness to the substrate, although too much makes it really hard, when it dries out completely.

Shirah Gantman

Arachnopeon
chaetopelma-olivaceum-1c85bfc3-ee80-4377-af57-6c7bf04b06c-resize-750.jpg guy haimovitch tarantula2 1000.jpg i

I was at AC Moore and it was going out of business and they had all there artificial plants and “enclosures”, I’m converting, on sale, got some plants for $0.12 each. And I loved all the desert decorations, and started to put together a juvenile desert styled enclosure.
What tarantulas/spiders would works well for this? Could be terrestrial, arboreal, or fossorial. Arboreal would looks really nice in it, based on its design.
P

Here in Israel in our Judean desert we have chaetopelma olivaceum. They are quite aggressive. We find them in our house now and then, and I just cup them and put them outside in a rocky area.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Got you, I also find it satisfying. Mixing with sand and coco fiber, the clay isn't a bad option, it will give some stiffness to the substrate, although too much makes it really hard, when it dries out completely.
Okay maybe I’ll opt out of doing clay or only use a small amount. Coco and sand will probably work well, and give me the right look

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member

You are going about this backwards. If you want a tarantula, research the available species, make a decision on one that would best for you and your skill level, then build an enclosure that will best work for the tarantula's captive requirements.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well IMO there’s a lot of bad information online that’s why this forum exists so that there can be a consistent amount of correct information relating to tarantulas and peoples direct experience keeping them.
I agree with you. My point was you search using google and find reliable sources.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You are going about this backwards. If you want a tarantula, research the available species, make a decision on one that would best for you and your skill level, then build an enclosure that will best work for the tarantula's captive requirements.
Yeah valid point!! but it was just that I just made a bunch of new enclosures and have no intention just to buy something impulsively just cause I want a desert enclosure. This was meant to purely be an act of gathering information on species that I could then research and might work in that type of set up.
Plus I just enjoy building enclosures!