Desert Species?

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am considering going with some desert species scorps/slings... It would be my first desert scorp, I've done pretty well with some scorps that I've got...

3 Pandinus Imperators
2 Hetermous Spinifers
1 Vaejovis spp.??
3 C. Mags.

They all seem to be pretty happy =)

Anyone have any ideas what I should start with?

I know that vaejovis are somewhat desert, but its small size makes it a not to impressive bit of my scorp collection. Dont get me wrong, they are a lot of fun to observe and shes one of my more aggresive scorps, but I wan't something somewhat larger.

Only Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
2 good species to start out with would be H. arizonensis and H. paucidens. The arizonensis are quite feisty while the paucidens are very reluctant to sting. Both are readily available in the hobby and make excellent additions if your looking for something common and easy to care for.

Ron

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, not strickly a desert species although commonly mistaken as such, including by myself at first. Id like to fight the corner of Scorpio maurus! Great looking small/medium size sp. with oodles of attitude.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
H. spadix is a good one...and not everyone has one either...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
most vaejovis are already pretty much desert creatures

the spadix is a good suggestion :)

Hadrurus spadix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrurus_spadix

Hadrurus spadix is a large black bodied and yellow legged scorpion found in the American Southwest. It's sting is not dangerous, per se, but is reputed to be extremely painful.

I bought this individual so i don't know where it came from, but the Hadrurus range from eastern California to past Texas. I suspect they range into Mexico as well. These scorpions are so hairy probably because they live in a hot sandly habitat. Long hairs on the legs keep the legs from sinking too far into the sand, allowing the scorpion to range about on loose sand dunes fairly well.

These scorpions are cannibalistic towards others of their species and other desert scorpions. They can grow to be 6+"/15cm+ from their "face" to the tip of their extended tail and stinger, making them the largest scorpions in the United States of America and possibly all of North America.

zoom

zoom

i really like this pic :D

zoom

edit:
[UPLOADED FROM A 4.6MB WMV FILE]
[YOUTUBE]ThnG82cAimw[/YOUTUBE]

[UPLOADED FROM A 28MB WMV FILE]
[YOUTUBE]Xap9hkWOczA[/YOUTUBE]

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yo Andrew....
Is your H. spadix sexed?
I have what it seems to be a female but not sure if she's gravid 100% should it bring it with me next sat?

-.Raul

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yo Andrew....
Is your H. spadix sexed?
I have what it seems to be a female but not sure if she's gravid 100% should it bring it with me next sat?

-.Raul
i haven't looked into it yet. i believe it is still a subadult as it is considerably smaller than the mature male arizonensis i had.

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
cacoseraph are you the one that uploaded vids on youtube handling scorps? if so I love your videos! you should do more

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2 good species to start out with would be H. arizonensis and H. paucidens. The arizonensis are quite feisty while the paucidens are very reluctant to sting. Both are readily available in the hobby and make excellent additions if your looking for something common and easy to care for.

Ron
Can you tell me what kind of set up I should use for either of the two?

Oh and I would really like a Scorpio Marus but the problem is, I dont think to many are for sale. But if I can find one can anyone give me the ideal enclosure for it please? Thanks!

Last edited:

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i haven't looked into it yet. i believe it is still a subadult as it is considerably smaller than the mature male arizonensis i had.
in my experience, most of the H. spadix I've had are a tad bit smaller than arizonensis, but only by a small margin, judging by the picture your specimen looks to be an adult...