Desert scorpions

iwlim

Arachnopeon
i was wondering if desert scorpions could be kept at room temp such and desert hairy and dune scorpions

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was wondering if desert scorpions could be kept at room temp such and desert hairy and dune scorpions
Well you can however it's not reccomended and they will grow much more slow at room temps.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Yes, but its better to keep them closer to their native environmental temps.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I keep all my scorpions at room temp (I'm saving up to get heat mats rn) and they do just fine.

iwlim

Arachnopeon
Doesn't it get frigid in the desert at night? And why are scorpions okay with heat mats while tarantulas aren't?

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesn't it get frigid in the desert at night? And why are scorpions okay with heat mats while tarantulas aren't?
Heat mats are OK for scorps but only on the side of the enclosure NEVER underneath the enclosure. Tarantulas usually don't need it that hot. I usually go with if im comfortable then my Ts probably are too when it comes to temps

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Not necessarily. It doesn't get "frigid" except for maybe december-febuary in the dead of night. There is a BIG temperature difference between day and night in the desert, But considering when its 110 degrees in the day, and it makes a 30 degree drop at night, that's still 80 degrees, which is warm/smoldering hot for most other people/places in the world.
As for heat mats, yes and no. They are good if used on the side to keep the ambient air temps high, because again, most dessert species(IE: the desert hairy or bark scorpions from here in Arizona for example) are used to living in 100+ degrees for nearly 4-6, months of the year(it's April right now and has already spiked to 97 twice in the past 3 weeks)
So they need a much higher normal ambient temperature then say a tarantula, who may normally live in or around 70-80 degrees normally.

Source: currently living in Phoenix AZ, and not looking forward to the summer time.

iwlim

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks for the help! I'll buy a heat mat when I get a scorp