Desert scorpions dying

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an issue with my females of desert species. They have tendency to die while in advanced pregnancy. Embrios are developed very well and they seems to be days away from giving birth. First it was A.bicolor with big brood way over 50 scorplings and now i have same thing with L.q.
Anyone have an idea what may be causing this? Maybe i'm doing something wrong?
Temarature is 25-35 C rarely up to 40C and humidity is hard to tell but i'd say medium in general.
Give me your thoughts.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
40 Celsius for a scorpion is close to the lethal temperature. Remember, in their natural habitats these temps occur, but the animals hide in deep burrows in their natural habitat or in other shelters to escape the heat. They cannot or not enough escape the heat when in captivity.
1. Lower the temps. 35-40 Celsius is really not necessary. Try 25-30 C.

You could mist a corner of the cage every month or maybe when your females are close to giving birth. Maybe they where too dry (when taking temps of max. 35-40 into consideration, this might be worth a try).

Even "known desert genera" like Androctonus, Parabuthus etc. etc. need some moisture from time to time. Of course, the main fluid intake is through prey, but an occasional drink or mist will be appreciated by them.
2. some extra moisture from time to time. Not too much, because of mycosis etc etc.

Hope this will help :)

Cheers, Michiel

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and now same thing with H.paucidens female. I was waiting for this brood 1,5 years now :/

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and now same thing with H.paucidens female. I was waiting for this brood 1,5 years now :/
do you have parasites in your sand? try baking it. I was originally thinking i had that problem after i had two WC v. spinigerus die out of nowhere

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like your keeping your scorps too hot. Try the suggested temps and try again. Sorry for your losses, though.

spaza

Arachnopeon
try bring it down to 20c and leave them in a dark room so they dont get disterbed after about a month cheak on them if they have sheded i would advise to take them away from the mum or she will eat them

i had got 1 little 1 left out of 40 ants got in and she lost about 35 she lost her motherly instinct and ate 4 we managed to save the last 1 he is about 3 months old and eating small to medium crickets

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for your comments. I adjust conditions according to your advices.

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is some autopsy shots. Hadogens have a hole on a bottom side so this may have something to do with it's death. Earlier she had a bump on the side. This might be some kind of parasite maybe?

And here's L.q.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pics of your Hadogenes looks like a wound of some type that never healed. However, it's kind of hard to tell without more photos.

Very nice photos by the way!!

In my opinion, your female Lq definitely appeared to have a severe case of Mycosis - look at her "feet" and other leg joints. Those dark patches are a result of the actual fungus. Based on this, I suggest working on keeping your Lqs more dry. Lightly mist one or two of the sides of their enclosure every other week and they'll be fine.

I'm very curious as to what others have to say about my diagnosis.

Keep us posted.

Jeff

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know about mycosis. She was already like this when i got her.