Desert plants in scorp. tanks...?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I have acess to a huge variety of desert plants, but cannot decide what would be or is safe for my Androctonus sp..
Anyone here know of any, or have used some in your scorp tanks (arid/hot, not any tropicals)? I really want to put some air plants, a couple cacti, and some succulants in my display groups. Im just haveing a very difficult time find solid info on the matter...:?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would probably pass on putting cacti in with any desert scorp, especially those that come from a part of th world where cacti aren't from. It's only asking for injury to the scorp....

If you really want to have plants in with your Androctonus, you might wanna do some research into what plants are native to their region, and then consider if having a planted tank is what you really want to go with.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Air plants need to be misted regularly, and Androctonus don't
Most Cacti have spines that could cause an injury
You could try a succulent that has the same requirments as an andro, but be aware that the plant will need some humidity, some fertilization and bright sunlight
Have fun

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Check your local pet stores, most have realistic fake cacti with soft spines.

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would try succulents or cacti, maybe plants native to the region from were they come? I dont know about prosthetic plants though. maybe they will have some weird rubber stuff that will kill the scorp, or ( this depends on what you use as feeders) Crickets might munch on the plants and go straight to your scorps tummeh,

Cheers

William Elija Pleisch

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Np

i have 3 cacti in with my desert scorps and they seem to love them. i always see them walking all over them, and the spikes don't seem to phase/harm them at all. if they come from areas where cacti are prevalent, then put some in there, they are a nice addition to the cage. I agree that air plants might not be a good idea because they require missting, and normally desert scorps need it dry so i would steer away from those.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Well I already have airplants that I soak in water once a month (those are going in) and I guess I'll experiment with some cacti and or arid succulents. I was no going to put any spiny's in there. Ive had my andros for 2 years now, and am getting a nice group soon that I want to house in a nice display rather than the standard "tank". I did a planted 46 bow front, and have 3 more 46 bow fronts to play with.... ;)

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Ive got afew 46gallon bowfronts. I dont keep my critters in shoeboxes...;) I figure 10 or so Andros should make an interesting desert display.