Desert hairy, wiping? His food on the sand

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I fed Cecil, my desert hairy scorpion tonight. And he exhibited a behavior I'd not seen before. Gave him a super worm and he grabbed and stung it as usual. Then after a couple minutes he started rubbing it on the sand. Forwards and back towards him several times. Anyone know why?

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Haha, mine does the exact same thing. I thought he was just a freak but I guess it must be pretty common behavior. Not quite sure the reasoning behind it though.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Haha, mine does the exact same thing. I thought he was just a freak but I guess it must be pretty common behavior. Not quite sure the reasoning behind it though.
I know that they'll stick their claw in the sand to clean it. I wonder if it was som6to do with that. Or maybe he was seeing if it would wiggle. "Is it dead yet?" Haha. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this mystery

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Mine only does this when I feed her stinkbugs, so it must be a behavior to wipe noxious secretions from their prey.

They feed on Eleodes beetles in the wild so I imagine it comes in handy then.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Sounds like it's doing some kind of cleaning action. Maybe it's detected something on the super worm that it doesn't like but is still determined to chow down on it.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Sounds like it's doing some kind of cleaning action. Maybe it's detected something on the super worm that it doesn't like but is still determined to chow down on it.
The worm did release a lot of fluid when he first grabbed it. I've seen him clean his claws in the sand so this would make sense