desert hairy scorpions as beginners?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
i have many tarantulas but no scorpions...

i did have a flat rock scorpion but i got rid of it because it was not the most interesting thing (never came out and never was eatin when i was home)

there 50 bucks at my lps good idea? bad idea? the red claws and emp's are just not cutting it for me

(not buying to handle)

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're easy to keep as adults. Not particularly defensive from my experience. You can handle them fine if you wanted to.

Give them a large amount of substrate to burrow in and make sure it can hold the burrows. That's about the most important thing when it comes to them.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
what do you mean hold the burrows?

and the scorpion i want to but is about 2 inchs and kinda b1tchy

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By hold, I mean the substrate has to be able to support the structure of the burrow and not collapse on the scorpion. Keepers use a variety of different mixtures and methods for it. I'm not familiar with them, because I just collect the substrate I find H. arizonensis in, but a search should turn them up.

A 2" one might be a gamble. They don't molt very well in captivity.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
$50 is a bit steep for a dessert hairy. You can get them anywhere for <=$30 online from all sorts of reputable dealers in the For sale/trade section on this site.

---Scratch that. Just realized you were in Canada. $20 sounds about right for crossing the border.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At 2" I'd pass. It can be difficult for a beginner to get them to molt properly.

John

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the H. Arizonensis was my second scorpion and by far in my top three favorites. they have a distinct look and attitude, but are pretty mild on the venom. i would love to get another someday

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're a great scorpion. Mine is out and about the whole night and sometimes during the day.