Desert hairy scorpion babies

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I have finally ordered a gravid female desert hairy scorpion. Now, anything I should know about caring for the babies? I am planning on having her in a x-large kritter keeper so that she can be able to burrow. Anything on sexing desert hairies? And are they a good scorpion for a beginner? I want to have some experience before going into fat tail scorpions.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Uh oh.... probably One of the most difficult to breed in captivity. They're notorious for having issues molting in captivity. Not the best begginer as is but. It's an awesome begginer scorp as an adult and non gravid lol

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sexing them is the same as most scorpions. Larger pectines generally mean a male. Not always 100% accurate, and can very among species, but i believe thats generally the method with these. Make sure you keep the babies in seperate enclosures once they leave mom to avoid them eating each other.

Alexw

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I hear Desert Hairy young are hard to to care for. I was just reading about it in Rubio's "Scorpions: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual" the other day.

"For some unknown reason very few keepers have been able to raise Hairy Scorpion young beyond the first few instars; they have trouble molting completely. It is apparent that their environmental and dietary needs are not being met. It seems humidity related, but it may be the type of soil they require for burrowing into or some other unknown, unexpected variable. This is one of those challenges that wait to be solved by a dedicated keeper" (Page 82-83).

He also mentions hairy scorpions and other obligate burrowers are extremely cannibalistic and if stressed or not in the proper conditions she may eat the young. He made a point that if they successfully go through their first molt they should be immediately separated and placed in individual containers.

Good luck!

Hiking Mike

Arachnopeon
Maybe. Personally I want to keep enough for another generation. Is there any care information on rearing babies? Any examples of adult enclosures?
I don't have any of that info on hand, but what every one else is saying lines up with the research I've done. I live in CO., I've been trying to get some desert hairys since Xmas, no one can get them here (yet!)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't have any of that info on hand, but what every one else is saying lines up with the research I've done. I live in CO., I've been trying to get some desert hairys since Xmas, no one can get them here (yet!)
This is their diapause period. My captive specimens are still buried. I have not seen them since October 2016. I expect them to re-emerge towards the end of April (like they do every year). In the wild this could vary depending on temperatures and what not.