Desert Communal Tank. Sonaran Desert. Millipedes, beetles, etc...

Loops117

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. Just wanted to find out if anyone else has ever setup a large communal tank for Desert insects? I am in the process of making my Desert Beetle setup larger, and would like to include my millipedes into the mix. Then possibly some others in the future.

Current List
Orthoporus ornatus - Desert Millipedes
Blue Death Feigning Beetles
Black Darkling Beetles

The beetles have been together for a while now, but would like to know how much more i can add? With feeding, i normally just keep a small pile of scrap organic veggies in a corner for both my beetles and my millipedes.

The millipedes currently live in a setup with coconut fibers, organic soil, and wood strands. I will be adding this to my Desert communal tank as it's primarily sand right now.

Thank you.
Loops

Loops117

Arachnopeon
Asked a couple vendors at the Michigan reptile show this past weekend. Said it would be fine, so i picked up another millipede and a couple more beetles and went ahead with my build.

Also, i'm under the impression that my original 4 Death Feigning beetles were males. A short 3 minutes after my new beetles were added, this happened....then i found the male on his side playing dead for about 10 minutes.

Thank you.
Loops

Loops117

Arachnopeon
Thank you.
I have a 5w heat pad stuck to the underside of their setup, which seems to be more then enough heat for them.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
That is what I use for my scorpions tanks, 4 or 5 watt heat pads that I stick to the back side. I only plug them in when I cant maintain the temps with the lights. Have you ever considered adding a scorpion or two to your tank?

Loops117

Arachnopeon
I has a tiny Florida Bark Scorp thats roughly 3/4th the size of the blue death beetles, and have considered it. I would not mind adding scorps at all as long as they dont hurt me beetles of pedes.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Arizona Hairy scorpions can live side by side with the Blue death feigning beetles, not sure about millipedes though and definitely not any other scorpions.

Loops117

Arachnopeon
I'll look into it. Thank you for the heads up. I wouldnt mind adding 1 or 2 to the setup if i could. I plan on adding others as well. Isopods, springtails, etc.

I was thinking of maybe a pair of ghost mantids, or something else that would be out and about.
Any other suggestions? This is new to me.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I haven't done any desert tank setups lately but hope to in the near future. I was down your way yesterday and picked up a African Flat rock scorpion from Stingers exotics in Livonia. The Flat rocks are kept hot and dry, though not a desert species where they live is hot and dry. My wife and I are looking to move out to New Mexico this year or next, I cant wait to get out of the Michigan ice box. Once we get established I want to start captive breeding scorpions for my past time. There are a lot of experienced scorpion keepers and breeders here on the forum that can help you better than i for any info you need. Looks like you have a great start with your setup.

Loops117

Arachnopeon
You're from michigan too! Lol, i'm really inexperienced with scorps and tarantulas. I joined the forums because i saw a lot of high quality content and wanted to learn more. I'll have to check out stingerz, never heard of them. Do they carry other insects? I have a wide array of insects in my collection and im always looking to expand.