Desert Brown Recluse

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Me too, send me the $ for shipping soon and I will send some, I know where a few live in my house. Anybody here on this site that is willing to get bitten, well, .....I will say this, that I will trust the results of *that* over any stories I've read so far. Man, there just seems to be a war some are fighting using info that isn't true out there! It's crazy to me! OK, OK, I'm calming down, I'm mostly referring to my political views. It's just that I feel people are being sold-out with marketing, instead of reality when it comes to politics, ...OK, OK, lol, not going there...:razz:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i just walked around the basement/garage for about 8 minutes and caught six and saw about 20. pics to come soon

John

leoman777

Arachnopeon
ive been bit by a brown recluse on my right hand when i was 5-6 years old didnt know what it was and was playing with it go figure lol but i dont really remember much except my arm being numb and going to the hospital and thats it and after that if i would get bit by an ant on that hand it would swell and go numb for a little bit but it doesnt happen anymore and now im 14 :D

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
tried to upload these last night but the server went down. these are the ones i was mentioning

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you think we have those in the Phoenix area? :eek: Oh man, scorpions, black widows, please don't tell me we also have those around here....Pandy, you are nuts holding those things!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fear mongering?

Fear of consequences is where we GET our respect for dangerous animals. I'm not demonizing, I'm trying to promote a proper understanding and attitude concerning these animals. You are undermining both, by purporting a lack of seriousness to their toxicity, and by alleging that they are completely unworthy of attention as hazardous animals--that we should ignore them and go on with our lives.

How does that make anyone safer? How does that promote responsibility?

In other words, if we put our two opposing arguments on an equal factual footing ( which they are NOT on, mine is documented, yours a fable of your own imagining), what possible BENEFIT does your viewpoint have, over mine? What does a person gain, by having the nerve to free-handle Loxosceles? What does that do for the hobby? Does it prevent accidents? Does it give an image of responsibility to onlookers and legislators/ lawmakers? NO--not either. It makes you/ us look like a bunch of cocky blowhards yelling "Look what I can do!"

Our image should be one of promoting a HIGH level of safety, through proper precautions. No one will be cautious of a creature not deemed dangerous. This animal is seriously toxic--that is proven. Your approach--even if mine WERE overly cautious-- offers zero benefit. Even if I'm over-zealous in my approach to caution, that is better for the hobby than your approach.

And yes, I know you can get away with a lot, in free handling Loxosceles--that proves absolutely nothing. I already know their temperament. I'm talking about POTENTIAL. If you have an accident--if you pinch one of their legs, or roll over on the spider in bed, or step on it...there is a real possibility of serious consequences. That's why we have to take these seriously, instead of clowning around like a bunch of fools.

But hey, if you want to handle your L. intermedia or gaucho, or whatever that was, go right ahead. I'll read your bite report when it comes, if you don't have too much egg on your face to type it.

As for me, I'll continue to be the voice of reason on here, for as long as there are genuinely interested novices, and morons like you giving false information--who for some reason, have a bee in their bonnet about taking toxic animals lightly.

Buthus, I'm not wrong to promote knowledge of the danger. You are wrong to promote them as harmless. You can't prove your side. I HAVE proven mine. Deny the facts as you wish, your argument is lame.
Good stuff ...lost in the page turn-over...missed the post myself..others probably too.

what did u prove again? ...oh nevermind. Scathing stuff. :clap:

edit:if you want to handle your L. intermedia or gaucho I would LOVE to handle my intermedias and gauchos! Dont have any though. Hard to get via legit sources. Know how I can get some? Anyway.. I THINK the spider in question is L.laeta, but im a clown..could be wrong.

edit: whao! which they are NOT on, mine is documented, yours a fable of your own imagining
what? I have these spiders right in front of me. For a scientist type u sure dont know jacksquat how to achieve the upper hand in a debate. Your WAY more knowledgeable than me..yet.. you now bore me.
What, u think there was a job opening at AB for the position of bullshat stats reminder? Who cares.
silly.

Last edited:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pay for shipping and i'll give you a whole boxful. ;)
John
Me too, send me the $ for shipping soon and I will send some, I know where a few live in my house.
I might have to take you guys up on that offer once I get back from the Midfail...err, Midwest. ;)

Kevin, theres this canyon in/around Anza-Borrego area ...creepy alone at night. 1 of these dayz we ought to go down there and catch some loxos...L.deserta hugismungus (most likely)...hard to catch sometimes but they are there. I was SO tickled to come across them. ...the party i was with thought me nutz. Anyway... they are of a beautiful. big line(size)...always found them in pairs or 3s.
That sounds awesome. I should still have a week or so before my next semester starts after getting back on the 17th...Soo couple days to recoup from the trip and I am up for it whenever. :D

Definitely want to setup a sheet and a light out there at some point. Loads of crazy stuff to collect(though, not more than 1-2 individuals), photo, and pin!(On top of the stuff I have from this trip.)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am up for it whenever
Ive been 'up for whatever ' for years now ...cant recall last time i wasnt up for whatever. ya know...whatever is just damn hard to achieve ...why is that? Seattle boyz/grls figured that out.
What, whatever.. yeah, man, we gotta go ///shoot some rockets at the dry lake bed.. look for scorps/spids and check out the local desertrat fem population. Local bar has live music last time i was there...surf..pretty decent too. I smuggled a huge cuctus that night ...got a flat tire... God waz on that cactus's side that night. But.. the cougar that stocked me turned out to be ok .., batteries burned out ..yet collected some loxos. scray wash @ night. creepy esp w/o a spare. Venom, u should come out this way and hang..

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes Kathy, I'm sure you do;P Have you checked behind your headboard?? They like it there, comfy and safe{D

Do you think we have those in the Phoenix area? :eek: Oh man, scorpions, black widows, please don't tell me we also have those around here....Pandy, you are nuts holding those things!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
their in cups with the lid on you sissy. they dont have acid spit or anything. lol.

John

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sissy! :( :razz: Actually, I meant the poster who was handling them, when I went back and looked I realized you were the one that had them in a cup with a lid. Oops. Either way, no thanks - and do you think they are in Phoenix? Acid spit.....

Orchid, thanks.......I will sleep much better tonight.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you think we have those in the Phoenix area? :eek: !
Arizona is the "desert recluse" state! 5 species known to be native. Looking at a couple range maps...Phoenix is on the eastern edge of L.arizonica's range. Most likely L.deserta could/should be found there also, but its a bit past their range. Below u in the Tucson area there are L.sabina and L.apachea.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Interesting, can you give me links to the maps you are referencing? I would love to look at them! I don't believe I have ever seen one, but then again, I see spiders all the time and have never paid attention to what they are other than black widows.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting, can you give me links to the maps you are referencing? I would love to look at them! I don't believe I have ever seen one, but then again, I see spiders all the time and have never paid attention to what they are other than black widows.
most of the rangemaps found online are about the same ...bugguides map is the one i have a link to ...its missing a few species though ...but covers the main natives.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the links - I see Phoenix is on the outskirts.