Desert Brown Recluse

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All species of Loxosceles should be treated w/ respect.
Overall, respect has not been achieved yet ...mostly just fear.

Exterminate. They're not an acceptable house/ yard spider.
Yep, yer just chuck full of great ideas. :worship:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Andrew...miss ya ...may as well just come over, Have a drink, have a drive,
go out and see what you(we) can find...

and/or u can go ahead and let this one bite you ...had her for a few years now. She'll bite you if i tell her to..
Not really a L.deserta, but darn it...these things are hard to figure out.. this one from further south a bit... anyway, i bet you could get her to bite you. She'd bite Venom fer sure ...she dislikes fear mongers ...and she hates What(Kevin) too ...told me so. Thinks hes a weirdo...should be bitten.

*disclaimer: kids..dont get all crazy and hold scary spiders. Let Andrew hold the scary spiders. You should just let them be ..in your backyard and such.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your fingers but not your spider??? I won't be sending any in the mail, sorry!:eek:
Make sure you take video and time lapse photos, or what ever they call those!!!

if someone wants to send me some L. deserta i'll let them bite me :)

rather, i'll get one to bite me and if i still have all my parts in a week i'll get another one to bite me =P

and for your viewing, er, enjoyment... my fingers but not my L. reclusa:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and for your viewing, er, enjoyment... my fingers but not my L. reclusa
Also for your viewing enjoyment, caco holding another L. reclusa, buthus' disclaimer fits here too, but... just leave the spiders on Andrew(caco).

(Also not his, or my, recluse.)

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So does Andrew take request? lol
Do you hold anything, like a black widow (Large Adult Female). lol

Also for your viewing enjoyment, caco holding another L. reclusa, buthus' disclaimer fits here too, but... just leave the spiders on Andrew(caco).

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Darn What, i started laughing cause i thought it was a pic of you.. holding another dumb recluse. ...anyway would have been way funnier ..sorry, just the way it tis. ..;) :D :D
ok...whos recluse is it anyway?

Handling clowning around ...these pics are being used out of context ..just to sorta offset the way things be thought. Probably dont wanna REALLY get into a nother handlin' thread. (obviously my bad muchly included)
OK.. Lets say those stats are not so accurate ...there IS alot of pondering goings on of late regarding loxos and their impact on the human race. Seems to me ...i have a feeling(and technically..ok...those dont really count) that its the official paper work that makes the stats ...and thars alot of "bites on paper" ...ya gotta THINK..right? Hell, at the base level...science itself is always "wrong".. thats what keeps it honest and putzing on forward.
So.. Venom.. i concede that, because there has been (its been guessed ) over 100 billion people living on this earth ...people have most likely died from wounds started from (...hey, maybe even finished{D) the venom of a Loxosceles spider. So..ok..stats are good, keep up the great work... ive always been a fan.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So does Andrew take request? lol
Do you hold anything, like a black widow (Large Adult Female). lol
i don't think i have any pics but i play with widows from time to time, too

those are a very different kind of deal than random Lox, though... i know for a fact that black widows can MESS up a person *if* they bite... but the chance of them biting me is sooo small that i don't worry about it. however, if they have eggsacs i definitely don't free handle them

next time i see a widow and i have my cam i'll take pictures :)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Darn What, i started laughing cause i thought it was a pic of you.. holding another dumb recluse. ...anyway would have been way funnier ..sorry, just the way it tis. ..;) :D :D
ok...whos recluse is it anyway?
heh, I have been trying to find some L. reclusa here in Ohio and Indiana(on vacation), no dice as of yet... Anyways, it is one of the L. reclusa you brought to the SCABIES BBQ that was at my place. IIRC that was after most everyone had taken off and a few of us were still messing around with the bugs. :cool:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heh, I have been trying to find some L. reclusa here in Ohio and Indiana(on vacation), no dice as of yet... Anyways, it is one of the L. reclusa you brought to the SCABIES BBQ that was at my place. IIRC that was after most everyone had taken off and a few of us were still messing around with the bugs. :cool:
Find like an empty lot ..or field behind housing dev type of dwellings... look along cinderblock walls ...tall grass matted down by cardboard/foam/garbage/woodstuffs. Night is best specially if its hot n'dry. I think the main reason they seem hard to find when actually looking for them, is the fact that they seem to stand still when alerted/disturbed..and then they sneak off quietly. I always have sit there and stare at nothing worth staring at til.."hey whoa..ther's 4 of em!".
Though, when I was down in the south ...i gave a few good looks for reclusa proper ...and came up empty handed. :rolleyes: edit.. or was it..missing a hand? ha!

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They shall take up fiddle spiders; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them... yaddi yaddi yada . :worship: pretty wild pics. i prefer to leave mine in their enclosure in the company of pinhead crix.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They shall take up fiddle spiders; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them... yaddi yaddi yada . :worship: pretty wild pics. i prefer to leave mine in their enclosure in the company of pinhead crix.
Ha?! How'd ya know my little scary spider handling prayer? Creepy. :? :D

Anyways, it is one of the L. reclusa you brought to the SCABIES BBQ that was at my place.
Ha...thats funny.
Sure! no one wants to admit that its THEIR spider ...no...must be Stevens nasty little reclusa. :rolleyes:
I dont recognize her... sure shes one of mine? ... :D :D

Last edited:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sure! no one wants to admit that its THEIR spider ...no...must be Stevens nasty little reclusa. :rolleyes:
I dont recognize her... sure shes one of mine? ... :D :D
If it was mine, I would totally claim it, but... I only have L. blanda(or what, by geography, should be).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's true that the media gives people the impression that these spiders are out to get you. Normally, when an abnormal person picks them up:razz: (including myself) in a way that is open for the spider and gives it freedom of movement, they will not bite. What usually causes them to bite is a defensive response from them being pinned down, restricting movement, like between clothes or your body trapping them against you and another object in some way. But, once when I was a kid, I felt a sting on my shin. I looked down and there was a Crab Spider sitting there biting me! So in a rare moment, maybe they might think you are food. That Crab Spider really looked like it thought I was something to eat, ..maybe I was!:razz:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fear mongering?

Fear of consequences is where we GET our respect for dangerous animals. I'm not demonizing, I'm trying to promote a proper understanding and attitude concerning these animals. You are undermining both, by purporting a lack of seriousness to their toxicity, and by alleging that they are completely unworthy of attention as hazardous animals--that we should ignore them and go on with our lives.

How does that make anyone safer? How does that promote responsibility?

In other words, if we put our two opposing arguments on an equal factual footing ( which they are NOT on, mine is documented, yours a fable of your own imagining), what possible BENEFIT does your viewpoint have, over mine? What does a person gain, by having the nerve to free-handle Loxosceles? What does that do for the hobby? Does it prevent accidents? Does it give an image of responsibility to onlookers and legislators/ lawmakers? NO--not either. It makes you/ us look like a bunch of cocky blowhards yelling "Look what I can do!"

Our image should be one of promoting a HIGH level of safety, through proper precautions. No one will be cautious of a creature not deemed dangerous. This animal is seriously toxic--that is proven. Your approach--even if mine WERE overly cautious-- offers zero benefit. Even if I'm over-zealous in my approach to caution, that is better for the hobby than your approach.

And yes, I know you can get away with a lot, in free handling Loxosceles--that proves absolutely nothing. I already know their temperament. I'm talking about POTENTIAL. If you have an accident--if you pinch one of their legs, or roll over on the spider in bed, or step on it...there is a real possibility of serious consequences. That's why we have to take these seriously, instead of clowning around like a bunch of fools.

But hey, if you want to handle your L. intermedia or gaucho, or whatever that was, go right ahead. I'll read your bite report when it comes, if you don't have too much egg on your face to type it.

As for me, I'll continue to be the voice of reason on here, for as long as there are genuinely interested novices, and morons like you giving false information--who for some reason, have a bee in their bonnet about taking toxic animals lightly.

Buthus, I'm not wrong to promote knowledge of the danger. You are wrong to promote them as harmless. You can't prove your side. I HAVE proven mine. Deny the facts as you wish, your argument is lame.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool kansas reclusa r the bomb ...quintessential loxos. ;) I do believe the reclusa in your photo is a Kansas reclusa. ;)

Kevin, theres this canyon in/around Anza-Borrego area ...creepy alone at night. 1 of these dayz we ought to go down there and catch some loxos...L.deserta hugismungus (most likely)...hard to catch sometimes but they are there. I was SO tickled to come across them. ...the party i was with thought me nutz. Anyway... they are of a beautiful. big line(size)...always found them in pairs or 3s.
The hesperus in the canyon are really cool also...some have wide arse hr glasses ...they feed (seems) mostly on the clown beetles making there way down the wash. Theres a few interesting steatoda type spidies feeding on the loxos...so simple and perfect.
We gotta get down there and do our thing.

Last edited: