Dendrobates leucomelas

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They have some of these lovely little guys at the pet store and I can get a deal on 6 of them.. I was wondering if any board members could share their enclosure pics or planting tips etc for dart frogs.. very much appreciated!! and feel free to post pics of your frogs as well!

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to keep a bunch of different forms of D. Auratus. My setup was a 32 gallon Oceanic with a rock bottom, and a tube going down for draining the tank. I kept a few species of bromeliads, including: Neoregelia lilliputiana, Neoregelia 'Pepper', Neoregelia olens, Neoregelia 'Fireball', and Tillandsia concolor. The top layer of soil was live moss.

I had a water bowl with duckweed in it, and the back of the tank was coco-fiber panels with java moss growing all over it. I also had a mister in the corner that would go off at set intervals to raise the humidity.

Unfortunately I dont have any pictures on this computer, but they were very very fun to keep.

jwmeeker

Arachnopeon
These are some pics of my setup before the plants got growing. The cage itself is much bigger than what you need. I was keeping five D. auratus in it at the time. Plants included (from left to right) Allocasia sp., lemon button fern, moses-in-a-basket, tillandsias, jewel orchid, and some bromeliad species that I'm not familiar with. If you haven't already checked out dendroboard.com, it has a plethora of information. I set up a waterfall in the far right corner and the "mister/fogger" would come on a couple of times/day.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hear pothos vines are good, too . . . easy to propagate, and they grow like mad in the right conditions. I love your froggy!

Edit: since it's warm and humid enough, a lowland species of Nepenthes pitcher plant may work too . . . assuming the pitchers are small enough that the frog won't get trapped inside :(.

That may be difficult, though . . . pitchers need soil to be well-drained and free of nutrients (maybe burying a small pot full of carnivorous plant soil within the substrate?).

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Two things: first off, I wasn't planning on feeding little froggies to them. A frog wouldn't get eaten by smaller Nepenthes, and since frogs are frogs, one could probably get out without too much trouble. I just think Asian pitcher plants are awesome, and because they do well in high humidity, would make a great terrarium plant.

Second, the product you listed, while interesting, perpetuates the myth that carnivorous plants have to be grown in a terrarium. They do not -- all the plants in that product are temparate species that do best when grown outdoors. A lot of people might buy a flytrap, follow the bad instructions, have it die, and then be disillusioned with carnivorous plants.

I just reread what I typed, and I'm sorry if it sounds a little aggressive. I just get huffy over carnivorous plant care. :)

Anywho, to Arachnophilist, your dart frogs are awesome. Especially because they're wearing OSU colors. :D

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Two things: first off, I wasn't planning on feeding little froggies to them. A frog wouldn't get eaten by smaller Nepenthes, and since frogs are frogs, one could probably get out without too much trouble. I just think Asian pitcher plants are awesome, and because they do well in high humidity, would make a great terrarium plant.

Second, the product you listed, while interesting, perpetuates the myth that carnivorous plants have to be grown in a terrarium. They do not -- all the plants in that product are temparate species that do best when grown outdoors. A lot of people might buy a flytrap, follow the bad instructions, have it die, and then be disillusioned with carnivorous plants.

I just reread what I typed, and I'm sorry if it sounds a little aggressive. I just get huffy over carnivorous plant care. :)

Anywho, to Arachnophilist, your dart frogs are awesome. Especially because they're wearing OSU colors. :D

Ive bred dart frogs, and If I hadnt, I wouldnt have said anything. My point was just that I think carniverous plants should be kept outside of a vivarium, thats it. As for the link I posted, it doesnt perpetuate any myth...Its just a way to have a variety of carniverous plants in a small space, like an office building.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My point was just that I think carniverous plants should be kept outside of a vivarium, thats it.
Fair enough. I just get overexcited for some things. :) That's cool that you breed darts.

it doesnt perpetuate any myth
So long as whoever buys it doesn't use the growing dome and knows the plants require winter dormancy outdoors.

To Arachnophilist, I'm sorry if I managed to get the thread off-topic. :8o