Deli vs other container types

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Those are two bucks a jar . Just go to the store and buy something in a clear plastic jar . Store brand apple sauce or peanut butter will cost you about the same . Then you have your clear jar and some peanut butter to enjoy while watching your T . It's a win win .

5dice

Arachnopeon
Those are two bucks a jar . Just go to the store and buy something in a clear plastic jar . Store brand apple sauce or peanut butter will cost you about the same . Then you have your clear jar and some peanut butter to enjoy while watching your T . It's a win win .
Well, duh. I should have thought of that! I'll do that!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Deli cup lids don't pop off. That's a new one. You're thinking they spontaneously pop off? I've used thousands of them over the decades. They're the container-of-choice for wholesale dealers.

I won't use screw-on lids. With arboreals and fast terrestrials potentially running around the cage at any time without warning, it's not hard to get their feet/legs caught in the threads. All it takes is an unexpected burst and in a split second the spider can be seriously injured.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Deli cup lids don't pop off. That's a new one. You're thinking they spontaneously pop off? I've used thousands of them over the decades. They're the container-of-choice for wholesale dealers.

I won't use screw-on lids. With arboreals and fast terrestrials potentially running around the cage at any time without warning, it's not hard to get their feet/legs caught in the threads. All it takes is an unexpected burst and in a split second the spider can be seriously injured.
By "pop" I mean that when you open and close it the lid "pops". It's a bit of a jarring. As for screw on vs pop top, I don't see how pop top is any less likely to cause damage. A spider in a pinch point is in danger.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
By "pop" I mean that when you open and close it the lid "pops". It's a bit of a jarring. As for screw on vs pop top, I don't see how pop top is any less likely to cause damage. A spider in a pinch point is in danger.
My Pampho cage does that and it annoys me that I bother him every time I need to do maintenence. I would agree with @5dice about the peanut jars. If you soak the inside in hot water and cleaner (safe of course) and can get some holes in there, it can look really nice and not bother the T as much. That is just me though. Here are some pics of some I cleaned out ;)

Attachments

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Just IMO with a screw on lid there is an extra second or two that the T could get caught up in the threads during the twisting action as opposed to pop off/on there is just one motion, on and off. I have two true spiders in deli cups and a T in a screw-off lid jar, the deli cups are lest disturbing for the spider and just faster. After I rehouse the T in the jar, no more screw-action jars for fast species likely to spook easily and bolt.

symbol

Arachnopeon
I use Really Useful Boxes for my slings. Works great for terrestrial/fossorial species. @EulersK has even done a nice tutorial on how to modify them to add a clear acrylic viewing window/lid. (I haven't tried doing that yet, but it's nice to know it's an option.)

Bread

Arachnopeon
Crikey. Really useful boxes are in America? I used to run a console market stall in the local town beside him when he was selling them out of a van 20 odd years ago.
I use bug grub screw ons. The deli cups do make the little guys run when you open them imo.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
RUB's for life.

Sure, nothing beats deli cups in price, but you can't beat the price/value ratio of RUB's for your adult specimens. Deli cups only go so far.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Try AMAC boxes. They are clear and can be easily drilled. There are also a bunch of great ideas in the vivariums and terrariums forum :)

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I agree with @Poec54 & @YagerManJennsen , I had once used a screw off lid style Tupperware for my A urticans sling when I first got it, the amount of care needed when opening and the stress accompanied with this style enclosure were reason enough for me to switch. They can easily get legs up into the void where the jar is being threaded and potentially lose limbs or worse. Deli containers don't pop if you open them with care. IMO less care than necessary to safely deal with a screw lid.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
RUB's for life.

Sure, nothing beats deli cups in price, but you can't beat the price/value ratio of RUB's for your adult specimens. Deli cups only go so far.
I have tried to make to make those, but I need more materials :/ Also, to the OP, user Abyss sells custom sling enclosures. They look amazing, and work especially well for arboreal slings :D

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I like the translucent/somewhat transparent deli containers that you pry off, but they don't pop or disturb the T too much, idk if you know what I mean lol.
Recently and somewhat unrelated, my sister bought a huge five lb thing of pretzels, and the plastic is thick and sturdy while the lid is thin and it opens like a dream! Just need to wait for her to eat them all....

symbol

Arachnopeon
I have tried to make to make those, but I need more materials :/ Also, to the OP, user Abyss sells custom sling enclosures. They look amazing, and work especially well for arboreal slings :D
If you're referring to the Really Useful Boxes, it's super easy to get a perfectly functional enclosure with decent visibility by simply melting holes in them with a soldering iron. Making the clear lid is a slightly more involved process that needs more tools and materials, but I find the clear RUBs have good enough visibility for me for now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It seems that a deli cup lid can "pop" off. Do you find that jarring to the T? Ever "pop" and drop? I'm worried about it. Seems that screw on lids would be preferable?

I found these, but have to order a dozen...

http://www.houseofcans.com/pet-clear-wide-mouth-jars-p-821.html

What do you use that's truly clear (not frosted/hazy) with a screw on lid?
I understand what you mean. To be perfectly factual, it really depends upon the manufacturer of the deli cups. I never buy them w/out first testing them. I have 2 right now that are terrible, and the rest, lids go on/off pretty well.

But if you want a lid that comes off super easy, but is also lockable, get a RUB as others have mentioned. I've been using them for years and LOVE them.

RUBS come in enough sizes to house slings into adulthood for most Ts below 7" IMO. Not the best for arboreals, but can be done.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
For slings and smaller juvs I use AMAC's or 32 oz deli cups. The AMAC's seem to be working well for my Avic's now that I learned the reason the spiders wouldn't come down was because they were about to molt. But they are much more expensive so at some point the 32 oz deli is a much better choice for most of your sling arboreals. I initially bought some 16 oz deli cups on Amazon that split if I use any thing larger than a small needle to put holes in them. A soldering iron was also tricky with them to keep the hole small. So quality is something to verify for the deli cups. My 32 oz deli cups work great.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I use Really Useful Boxes for my slings. Works great for terrestrial/fossorial species. @EulersK has even done a nice tutorial on how to modify them to add a clear acrylic viewing window/lid. (I haven't tried doing that yet, but it's nice to know it's an option.)
Do the RUB boxes have a very small gap between the lid and tub? I am scared of many of the standard Sterilite and Hefty containers for smaller spiders. There looks like enough gap for the spider to escape. I would like to find this tutorial. This brand is new to me. Thanks.

EDIT* Found the Tutorial :)

Last edited:

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I use deli cups by the hundreds,32 oz. tall for arboreals, a few other types for terrestrials,depending on size.Since I feed and water once a week,that is the only time my T's get disturbed.Other than that,they have it pretty peaceful,much less stress than they would find in the wild.I don't think you're gonna stress your T's to death over a once a week "pop".

Jaxxfunk

Arachnopeon
The trouble I have with all the RUB and similar style boxes is that they're not clear. They say they're clear but they're not, they're cloudy. I have to have clear boxes/deli cups for all my T's. I want to be able to see them uninhibited, in all their natural beauty.