Deli Cups, can t's escape?

BrandonM

Arachnopeon
i have three ts on the way all around an inch,and i am worried that the deli cups i have prepared for them will not keep them in. i got them at dollar tree 3 for a dollar, and the lids go on the same way as a soft drink lid. please, someone tell me they cant escape from that, because now i keep telling myself im gonna need to go buy x-small kritter keepers.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
If you're worried, just use a bit of scotch tape on the edges.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When it comes to T's,whatever can happen, will happen, lol.

I haven't had an escape as of yet (only self inflicted), and all my slings and juvies are in deli containers. So +1 for what Hobo stated, tape them up.

Or you can place them all in a larger screened enclosure if it worries you that much. That way if they do escape, they only get out into the other enclosure.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
because now i keep telling myself im gonna need to go buy x-small kritter keepers.
I bought an extra small KK and one of the holes in the lid was big enough for my .75 inch GBB sling to escape. I learned this lesson the hard way this weekend. It wasn't the little slit-looking holes all around it, it was where the handle connects to the lid. Luckily I found the little one chilling on top of my digital cable box, but the moral of the story is don't be tempted by extra small KKs.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get some crafting cubes, the clear plastic ones, and drill some holes in them for ventilation and you'll be set.

I've got various sizes from 1/2x1/2x2" upwards of 4x4x6 which I've used and re-used many times over now.

I've never had a loss nor a break-out with them and they can be stacked if you wish (I wouldn't) and cost literally only a few bucks (< $2) to buy and use if you have them around your area.

I've gotten mine from Hobby Lobby, Michaels and other various "craft" stores. There are tons of pics here on the site that show them and if I can find the time I'll link a few here if you don't know what I'm speaking of.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know it sounds "ghetto" but i've gotten plenty of miles out of tape and/or rubber bands for keeping iffy enclosures secure. I use electrical tape instead of scotch tape because it's easier to peel off and re-apply.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know it sounds "ghetto" but i've gotten plenty of miles out of tape and/or rubber bands for keeping iffy enclosures secure. I use electrical tape instead of scotch tape because it's easier to peel off and re-apply.
Ghetto or not it works and what works can't be wrong.. Right? :)

I've used a band or two as well electrical tape is so much more forgiving and lasts longer. No reason to doubt that unless you went with Duct tape cause then it would be perfect :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i accidentily cracked my deli cup that my black widow is in, while i was trying to get the lid on....gorilla tape....

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I highly doubt they can escape from it. as long as it snaps in place you're good.

If anything glue a rock on the lid for an extra measure.

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
I bought an extra small KK and one of the holes in the lid was big enough for my .75 inch GBB sling to escape. I learned this lesson the hard way this weekend. It wasn't the little slit-looking holes all around it, it was where the handle connects to the lid. Luckily I found the little one chilling on top of my digital cable box, but the moral of the story is don't be tempted by extra small KKs.
+1. This has happened to me as well. =/

Also, check your ventilation holes - if they are too big, or if just *one* is too big, the sling will find it and get out.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ALL of my T's are in 99cent store containers or deli cups. Not a single issue. My only issue is with the small KK that i put my 1.25" B. Smithi in. Haven't seen it since may of 2010.

But like others have stated, make sure your vent holes are small enough to not let anything out, make sure the lids lock on and you should be good to go.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you know anyone who works in a restaurant, supermarket, deli, etc.? They might be able to hook you up with some plastic to-go containers. If not, just go to some place they use them and ask if they'd give/sell you a few.

Or just buy some soup to-go & save the containers. Repeat that a few times & you've got a belly full of minestrone & shelf full of T's. Delicious.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
I highly doubt they can escape from it. as long as it snaps in place you're good.

+1 As long as it snaps, you're good. Just worry about the vent holes. And also, its not bad to add a rubberband for added security..;)

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think lids will snap once you make sure they're fully fastened. Its the size of the holes that you need to worry about.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you know anyone who works in a restaurant, supermarket, deli, etc.? They might be able to hook you up with some plastic to-go containers. If not, just go to some place they use them and ask if they'd give/sell you a few.
I buy sleeves of deli cups from the deli counters at the local supermarkets. Price is low, and sometimes if I'm only looking for a few they've been known to give me some for free or nearly free. Just ask the person working behind the counter if they'll sell you a few cups. As for holes - I have a drill press in the garage and a 1mm drill bit. When I'm setting up new cups (it usually happens in batches) I stack several lids at a time together and drill holes in all of them at once. If you don't happen to have a drill press and 1mm bits, I'm sure a hot pin would do the job.

Wink

Arachnopeon
i use matchbox/hotwheels car display cases for my terrestrial slings, the lid is very secure and the cost is .57 cents each :D

but back on topic as others have said, if you are worried, put a dab of tape on the lid

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Slings aren't really into pushing tops off. Crawling through larger holes is another matter... I use a dremel with a fine etching bit to make mine. Makes the holes nice and smooth too!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
for air holes, i have a hand held leather punch that rotates and you can choose from like 6 different size holes...works great...