Suggestion Deleting threads

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Can you guys add a ”delete” button for threads (that you made) that you don’t want anymore, I mean I know that we can message you guys for you to delete it but life would be a lot easier if we could delete it ourselves. Just a suggestion

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
In my opinion, by having an option to self delete, it would make users less careful about what they write, without thinking twice before make a post.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
In my opinion, by having an option to self delete, it would make users less careful about what they write, without thinking twice before make a post.
The flip side to that is, if they've made a thread about something unnecessarily provocative, then more people have the opportunity to be provoked by it in the time it takes to request deletion, & the point when it's actually deleted, than would be if the user could just remove it his or herself.
For example, just last night I made a thread lamenting people's use of pronouns on their spiders (particularly the plural "they/them" when referring to a single specimen), that, although ridiculous, didn't warrant a thread decrying it...at least not on a board about spiders.
After consideration, I regretted adding to what I feel is degrading to internet communities in general, & requested its removal. I could have done it myself within about a minute, but instead it was up for nearly 20 minutes. That doesn't sound like a big deal, however, think of the people prone to using extracurricular pronouns, & how injurious the mere existence of such a thread portends....words matter. Words HURT.
Also, I think a lot of people that use this site do so "in the moment," spurred on my a question or issue they're having right then. How many duplicate threads have you seen up simultaneously? So someone comes in with a question, makes a thread, then scrolls down only to see someone else already posted the same question. They return to the thread they made, &...it's got several responses from the dinosaurs miffed that there's already another thread up about that very topic. Does he (or she) really need to be admonished for not scrolling down prior to making their thread? No, but I can understand why it happens, as it's such a common event...that further degrades community sentiment. I don't know about you, but I'm content not knowing someone posted something they wished they hadn't for whatever reason.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
The flip side to that is, if they've made a thread about something unnecessarily provocative, then more people have the opportunity to be provoked by it in the time it takes to request deletion, & the point when it's actually deleted, than would be if the user could just remove it his or herself.
Yes, you are right, but you also need to know that certain rule is there with the intention, and it’s flip side in mind.

The mods already know, and they know better than any of users that it is very annoying, taking time work, to go through delete request one by one. However they chose to do it this way because this way is better.

Last edited:

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, you are right, but you also need to know that certain rule is there with the intention, and it’s flip side in mind.

The mods already know, and they know better than any of users that it is very annoying, taking time work, to go through delete request one by one. However they chose to do it this way because this way is better.
You think it was intentionally planned to omit that "privilege?" Likely not... probably just an oversight (believe it or not, they make them, too). There's essentially, nay... ABSOLUTELY no benefit to disallowing people to delete their own threads. The only issue with it now, is that it's probably beyond a "flick of the switch" remedy at this point, & the addition of such is likely excessively cumbersome. Doesn't REALLY matter, as the threads that need to go are gone regardless, but there's absolutely no reason anyone should have to wait for a mod to do their own dirty work, in this regard.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
but there's absolutely no reason anyone should have to wait for a mod to do their own dirty work, in this regard.
In this regard, you can edit your post for certain time limit.

And, actually there is another good reason why the mods need to delete the posts for you.

For instance, if users can freely write, and delete whenever they feel like to, for Mods’ perspective, it’s literally getting any evidences, proofs get deleted if the deleted posts were with the intention to insult or to scam others.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
So...you want "evidence" for punitive reasons, yes? Any damage done in the meantime means nothing, so long as you get to wag your fingers & say "SEE???"
Using this particular board as an example, the moderation is deliciously liberal, in that it doesn't intervene unless it truly NEEDS to. As such, my thread from yesterday would still be up to this very moment, should I not have requested its removal, because it violated no rules. It DID provide traction for unnecessary bickering, & that was grounds enough for me to want it gone myself... I can already see by our interaction here that you'd strongly disagree with its premise... would you have liked to see it?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
There is a reason why deleting is restricted to administration on forums in general. It has to do with misuse and abuse in part. If you want individuals to arbitrarily delete posts or threads, use the chat channels. Scrolls by and is gone. Forums maintain records and become reference DBs. Reason it out..

Last edited:

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
In this regard, you can edit your post for certain time limit.

And, actually there is another good reason why the mods need to delete the posts for you.

For instance, if users can freely write, and delete whenever they feel like to, for Mods’ perspective, it’s literally getting any evidences, proofs get deleted if the deleted posts were with the intention to insult or to scam others.
"Evidences & proofs?" So...you want punitive measures against thought crimes, more than you want a cohesive community, yes? That someone starts a thread, & immediately thinks "you know, I wish I hadn't started that here" isn't good enough, you feel they need a finger wagging for having such naughty thoughts in the first place, yes? Granted, some lack the ability to self-regulate, & will make such a thread that don't have such hindsight, & they may very well need some degree of admonishment. Those people would catch their spanking with or without a delete button though, so what we're really talking about is board quality in the absence of moderator action. Which could be significant; from roughly 1am EST to 4am EST, there wasn't a mod available for a question I have about starting a "a trade" thread; kept checking back in that stretch to see if there was a name in red online... nothing. So for AT LEAST three hours, I could have had a thread up with just about anything. Granted, there's not a lot of activity through those hours, but that's irrelevant, as the damage could already be done; if I was inadvertently breaking a rule, I'd SURELY get a no-no point for it being up so long, & if it was offensive, just imagine how many awful feelings it might trigger...all for unnecessary, because I couldn't delete it myself. Sure, you can edit the content to an extent, but you can't edit the title...

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Good deal. So, if you can do all that...why not delete? What, should they be pinched for "covering up" their no-no via edit? I'd still argue that pertains to board quality, because now you've got some junk thread that was given no thought up, that's just as garbage & pointless as duplicate threads. If you can change the title within 15 minutes...why not be able to delete the whole thing within 15 minutes? LoL, if anything, that's even MORE of a reason to give us the option...

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Good deal. So, if you can do all that...why not delete? What, should they be pinched for "covering up" their no-no via edit? I'd still argue that pertains to board quality, because now you've got some junk thread that was given no thought up, that's just as garbage & pointless as duplicate threads. If you can change the title within 15 minutes...why not be able to delete the whole thing within 15 minutes? LoL, if anything, that's even MORE of a reason to give us the option...
Again, read the rule.

B861D49C-26E4-444B-A408-A1733DC5D27D.jpeg 3B2F1F8E-4AC3-4B20-8034-37E65A74A8FA.jpeg

‘BY ACCESSING, BROWSING, AND USING THIS SITE,

(which you are doing at the moment)

YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS DESCRIBED BELOW, ALL POLICIES AND GUIDELINES INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE, AND ANY SUBSEQUENT CHANGES TO THE FOREGOING.’

(You already agreed to follow the rule)

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE SITE TERMS OR ANY SUBSEQUENT MODIFICATION, DO NOT ACCESS, BROWSE OR OTHERWISE USE THIS SITE.

(If you do not, then there’s your answer, your choice)

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Meant to make a statement in this thread sooner, sorry about the delay. The reasons mentioned by @BoyFromLA and @The Snark are just some examples of why users can't delete their own threads.

@tarantulas118
We are all about the preservation of content. Removing a thread because it was answered doesn't do anything to help the next person with that same question. It also means that anyone who replied to the thread wasted their time as the replies are deleted along with the thread. That is the major reason we do not allow users to delete their own threads.

@Tentacle Toast
While there may be an occasional oversight when it comes to permissions, they generally only occur when changes are made to the forum. Users deleting their own threads is not an oversight, but an example of the abuse of the few outweighing the convenience of the many. While a provocative thread may cause issues, in the long run, it staying up for a few hours until a mod can look at it is much less problematic, as well as much less work, than someone rage quitting and deleting all their content.

Any additional editing time is there for fixing any typos that may be noticed or changing to a more appropriate title, not for hiding "no no's" (although some may think it can be used as such).

We're big believers in personal accountability and users are responsible for what they post. We hope that everyone will think twice (and maybe three or four times ;) ) about what they're posting before clicking that post/reply button. What users post may be up for a few hours, potentially damaging the reputation of the user who posted it, before we can get to it.

This is all about the concept of "Stop and Think" before you post.

The Snark

Old Timer
We are all about the preservation of content. Removing a thread because it was answered doesn't do anything to help the next person with that same question. It also means that anyone who replied to the thread wasted their time as the replies are deleted along with the thread. That is the major reason we do not allow users to delete their own threads.
A picture perfect poster child example was a police forum. One would think the ideal place to get a heads up on the various laws and statutes. It was taken over by a person who arbitrarily deleted posts or threads using his personal IMHO and catering to a core group of preferred individuals. The result was a DB so full of holes searches were all but useless.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Meant to make a statement in this thread sooner, sorry about the delay. The reasons mentioned by @BoyFromLA and @The Snark are just some examples of why users can't delete their own threads.

@tarantulas118

@Tentacle Toast
While there may be an occasional oversight when it comes to permissions, they generally only occur when changes are made to the forum. Users deleting their own threads is not an oversight, but an example of the abuse of the few outweighing the convenience of the many. While a provocative thread may cause issues, in the long run, it staying up for a few hours until a mod can look at it is much less problematic, as well as much less work, than someone rage quitting and deleting all their content.

Any additional editing time is there for fixing any typos that may be noticed or changing to a more appropriate title, not for hiding "no no's" (although some may think it can be used as such).

We're big believers in personal accountability and users are responsible for what they post. We hope that everyone will think twice (and maybe three or four times ;) ) about what they're posting before clicking that post/reply button. What users post may be up for a few hours, potentially damaging the reputation of the user who posted it, before we can get to it.

This is all about the concept of "Stop and Think" before you post.
Just out of curiosity, how could such a feature be abused?
Also, so someone wants to "rage quit, & delete their content." Why is THAT a problem? Seems the only person who suffers there is the person that wasted all that effort, the sire as a whole certainly doesn't suffer...

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, how could such a feature be abused?
Also, so someone wants to "rage quit, & delete their content." Why is THAT a problem? Seems the only person who suffers there is the person that wasted all that effort, the sire as a whole certainly doesn't suffer...
Just like software companies don't advise how to abuse bugs in their code, I'm also not going to advise how to abuse a feature (even if it's not present).

As I said, it's a problem because then all the responses from other users to that users thread, and all the information in those responses are now gone as well, causing a much greater waste of users (who didn't rage quit) time.

You don't see the site suffering because in many cases, we were forced to delete entire threads because of gaping holes left in them. It's not something we care to repeat.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Just like software companies don't advise how to abuse bugs in their code, I'm also not going to advise how to abuse a feature (even if it's not present).

As I said, it's a problem because then all the responses from other users to that users thread, and all the information in those responses are now gone as well, causing a much greater waste of users (who didn't rage quit) time.

You don't see the site suffering because in many cases, we were forced to delete entire threads because of gaping holes left in them. It's not something we care to repeat.
Well I guess that makes sense (both counts). Still struggle to see what possible abuse could transpire in the span of 15 minutes (should such a feature last as long as the ability to edit a title), but I don't run a forum, so it doesn't really matter, LoL.

The Snark

Old Timer
Administration, troubleshooting, coding, moderation, DB maintenance, janitorial service and occasionally babysitter? What's the pay scale?

Last edited: