Deformed Tarantula

Why is my tarantula deformed after molting?

• Total voters

Tanyaventer777

Arachnopeon
Can someone please help me im new to this i have a Brazilian Giant White Knee and she Molted 6 days ago and i saw she looks deformed her abdomen is hanging her legs looks like they at the wrong places.. Can someone please help me what can i do for her i don't want to touch her im scared she's in pain im adding pictures of her

Attachments

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Your tarantula is fine and looking healthy. Their abdomens aren't rigid, they move around from the carapace sort of like a joint. And they move their legs around to, you know, walk.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Post-molt tarantulas will do some crazy yoga moves to get settled into their new skin. Your T looks fine to me!

Troopermk2

Arachnosquire
Looks fine to me! My fat bodied T's always look a bit wonky when they are trying to scale the enclosure

cold blood

Staff member
Look at her legs the two back legs not even and the whole body is not straight???
That's due to gravity as she's not sitting straight. Like said, post molt is a lot of stretching, often it looks very awkward.

Can you post pics of the enclosure, it looks like it might be kinda tall....also can you post a pic of the underside next time its on the glass, maybe we can confirm the sex for you....looks kinda leggy.

sasker

Arachnoprince
The exoskeleton of tarantulas is soft like rubber right after a molt and they need to harden before they are back to normal. It is totally normal if your spider's legs are bendy like spaghetti. It has been 6 days since the molt, so she should be alright now, but she is a big girl (is it a girl?) so she needs some more time hardening. You don't need to feed her for another week. Her fangs may still a bit soft and some say that they can be damaged when they are not completely hardened. She looks very healthy, so don't worry about her starving, or anything.

By the way, welcome to Arachnoboards. I like your profile picture. It reminds of how I look before I have coffee in the morning :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Can someone please help me im new to this i have a Brazilian Giant White Knee and she Molted 6 days ago and i saw she looks deformed her abdomen is hanging her legs looks like they at the wrong places.. Can someone please help me what can i do for her i don't want to touch her im scared she's in pain im adding pictures of her
Looks fine to me. It will do weird stretches like that for a few days post molt while the new exoskeleton fully hardens up.

boina

Lady of the mites
It's absolutely, positively fine and looks very good and healthy, actually. Molt or no molt, tarantulas often hang out in very weird poses. They are much more flexible than you give them credit for.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Beautiful, healthy T! I’m quite jealous, actually. A geniculata is on my ever growing wish list.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Looks fine to me too! My A genic regularly practices yoga, and I find her in the strangest positions sometimes.

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
With the amount of joints in a single leg I would be worried if they were straight! Ts always look a bit gangly after a moult, and yours looks beautiful. Absolutely fine. Their abdomens can move a fair bit, they aren't rigid at all.