Deformed Slings & Feeding Gravid Females?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Question #1. Why do most people stop feeding their female once she has a sack? Is it because they simply will not eat?

Question#2. When you oppen a sack and find some deformed slings, what do you do with them? (Assuming their alive, but will not be able to be treaded as a normal sling?)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont quite get question 1. If they are holding a sack, normally you let her alone...but you can feed her. She will probably be bather by it, but she might eat it while guarding the sack.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
In reading here on the boards and in the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, it's suggested that bothering the female while guarding a sack - offering her prey - sometimes prompts her to eat the sack. This may or not be true. I would not want to risk it...

What kind of deformities? Missing legs, stuck together, etc, etc? Do you think they will survive a molt? Why not let nature decide?

Marga

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ya, i would rather not run the risk of stressin her out wit food items runnin around...heck i try to not even make eye contact wit my sac holdin ladies, in fear of stressin them....i jus let them be, and try to calmly keep the water dishes topped up when needed, or quietly semi soak the sub with a turkey bayster, thru a vent hole...

...and as for the deformed slings, you can only wait and see,..a molt will always be the deal clencher.....