Deformed leg after molt

spider8

Arachnopeon
Deformed leg after molt, should the leg be removed ? It is severly bent and sticking up in the air.
This is a 3 y.o. spider. I have never had to remove a leg what is the best way to do it , should it be done where it attaches to the body ? What should I use to do it ? Thanks !!

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Deformed leg after molt, should the leg be removed ? It is severly bent and sticking up in the air.
This is a 3 y.o. spider. I have never had to remove a leg what is the best way to do it , should it be done where it attaches to the body ? What should I use to do it ? Thanks !!
Personally I would leave it alone for now and see if the T drops it off themself. They can detach from their thorax without losing much "blood" from what I've heard.

Also,I recall a post just about a week ago where someone's T had a leg that looked horribly broken, sticking out at a bad looking angle. Turned out the leg was just fine, it was just positioned strangely for a bit

@EulersK wasn't that you? I can't recall

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would be very reluctant to remove it and would only do so if their lives were in immediate peril. If the leg is permanently deformed - the spider will decide where and when to properly autotomize the limb at the least risk to them. They can't prepare properly if you do it for them and there is a risk of more fluid loss. Spiders will autotomize between the coxa and trochanter and doing it for them is riskier than them doing it themselves.

spider8

Arachnopeon
Great I am in no hurry to do anything but I did want few opinions about the issue. Thanks will take the advise.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
*ahem*

DO NOT REMOVE THE LEG.

If the leg needs to be removed, the spider will do it on it's own. I had a spider with a broken joint that walked around like it was constantly raising its hand for several months. Eventually, I woke up to see him munching away at his leg. The spider knows best, you do not. You could end up causing a fatal injury if you try to remove it on your own. Leave the spider be. Worst case scenario, it'll walk around like that until the next molt, after which the leg will likely be back to normal.

Also,I recall a post just about a week ago where someone's T had a leg that looked horribly broken, sticking out at a bad looking angle. Turned out the leg was just fine, it was just positioned strangely for a bit

@EulersK wasn't that you? I can't recall
Yeah, that was me, but she went back to normal after a few hours. She was just being strange, apparently.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1. The proper question is "should I remove the leg", the answer is NO.

2. Let the T handle this, they know what they are doing. They are equipped to handle such field emergencies :D

Just leave your T alone, feed it food and provide a water dish.

The only thing to make sure is that it's not bleeding.