Decisions.. Decisions.. Lizards

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I been checking out various breeder sites and caresheets...

I'll probably end up eventually with all or most or at the very least with one of the following species.

A) Red Eyed Croc Skinks
B) Blue Tongue Skinks (probably just the big common Northerns)
C) Ackies (Acanthurus)
or
D) Uromastyx (probably the big common Egyptians maybe something more colorful)

But I'd like to hear testimonies from folks that keep these animals, the ins and outs, the pros and cons. Much, much appreciated. And general advise because I am not going to be able to purchase all of them but would like to pointed in some direction(s) or other.

Very, very difficult everytime I gravitate to those awesome Ackies my mind suddenly flips and says no those adorable cuddly Uromastyx etc, etc.

Thanks! :D

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I myself am saving for a red ackie. If you haven't done so, check out proexotics.com and there amazing info on monitors. ~ Rex

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I myself am saving for a red ackie. If you haven't done so, check out proexotics.com and there amazing info on monitors. ~ Rex
Ackies are friggin awesome especially the rarer reds. I have checked out proexotics and their caresheets are indispensible. Also been lurking on the Kingsnake.com's Acanthurus forum.

Me and these lizards are a perfect match because I probably won't be able to manage the larger monitors for both financial and living space reasons neither do I really want to (no offense to monitor lovers). At least not any time in the very near future.

A small to medium range lizard (large even within reason) I can provide with absolute maximum care however.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've made my choice though it was rather difficult but there are qualities of Acanthurus that are personally the most desirable at the moment.

They're socialable entirely carnivorous lizards, three adults can be kept in a 4'x2'x2' cage, adults range between just over a foot to three feet in length some achieving maturity at 14".

And the males are more active and less shy.

Both species are commonly handable though individuals can be bitey.

Last edited:

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aw.

Well, I'd still like to add the blue tongue skinks are by far the most "friendly" lizards I have ever owned. Slow moving, don't bite. Well, I did get bit when I was unpacking one from shipping once, but I can understand that. Anyway, they are not picky at all with food, they're pretty easy to house, and they get to a nice big size.

Right now I have a yearling Northern, and he has got to be the coolest pet I've ever owned. He's just so curious and seems to love hanging out on my lap/shoulder/etc while I watch TV. I can just put my arm in his enclosure and he'll climb right on. He's a blast.

Last edited:

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Uromastyx geyri, "red phase" ...male. I absolutely adore him and his chubber cheeks! He's completely vegetarian... various greens and veggies, with a bean and grain dish (I mix his beans and grains.. all organic.. and grind just slightly with a processor or coffee grinder). They like their environment extremely dry/arid and high temps... 140F on the hot end is good. They also love to burrow, so plenty of hides all over a large enclosure makes for a stress-free Uro.

Tandoor is active and will hang out with me for a movie or whatever, as well. He's not one of the larger Uros, though. He may max out at 12-15" ...he's about 10" total length, now.

I don't have any experience with the other candidates that you are considering, but I am waiting to acquire a brand new Bluey. It was born in May and is a Classic Northern. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions of these lizards... people that have them, adore them.. those that don't, really don't like them. The only one I've ever had contact with was WC and in a pet store... she was stressed and ready to fight, so I left her to it. (Several people have said that their bite is like having your hand slammed in a car door... yikes!) If you do consider a Bluey further, try www.bluetongueskinks.net The people on there can be very helpful and you will see all the variety, as well. The input is international.

Good Luck!

...and share pics when you make your choice! :)

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that website. That's where I learned everything I needed to know - very extensive.

But also, I would like to add that I really enjoy Red Eyed Crocodile Skinks as well, it's just that they're very much shyer. They still thrive in captivity, but they are timid.

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought an adult CB crocodile skink about a year ago, and I love the little guy. I (very) rarely see him out and about, as he is only active from about 7-9 am and 3-5 pm, and any sudden movement (including turning my head to look at him) will send him scampering towards the nearest hiding spot.

If you're very careful though, or sit yourself down in front of their tank, you can observe them. Mine tends to alternate between sitting in his water (which takes up 1/3rd of a 20 gallon tank), climbing all over his tank, and digging through the substrate.

They can be somewhat picky eaters, as they tend to be big fans of earthworms and soft bodied insect larvae, the latter being high in fat. When I bought mine the store he was living at had weaned him onto crickets, but apparently it took some time.

Since the enclosure is full of both water and deep substrate which crickets can burrow in, I took a deli cup and cut the bottom 3 inches off to make a "feeding pit" which I drop crickets into after pulling off their hind legs so they can't jump out. before I did that a lot of them buried themselves and eventually died or drown in the large water dish. Also, the skink is so shy large crickets poking him in the face with their antennae scare him :rolleyes: .

Oh and the water dish. You want something big enough for him to move around in, and deep enough for him to soak in, without it being too deep for him to stand in. You also need some sort of cover so it feels secure soaking in it. I put fake plants in mine that he can hide under.

I'm still not sure whether UV light is a must, because I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on this, but they are diurnal animals and based on mine's behaviour would ahve some exposure to sun in the wild, so I give him UV jsut to be safe.

Don't buy a crocodile skink if you expect to see them too often though.

Hope that helps.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everyone, your input has been awesome. I am torn once again because I wanna collect them all but just need patience by taking one lizard or two at a time. :)

Thanks for the link! :D

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Still researching and looking at cage choices.

I learned one other thing do not include mice and pinkies in the Acanthurus diet only as an occassional treat. They are high in fat and would be the equivalent as a stick of butter to a human. Roaches and crickets are fine.

Oh, another lizard I have considered but I don't see many of these days are the Shingleback Skinks which are a very close relative of the BTs. Anyone care for these?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you mean, the Shingleback Blue Tongued Skink — T. rugosa rugosa? If so, you may only find them in Australia these days. There may be a couple in a few select museums or zoos across the States, but I don't know of any hobbyists offhand... I mean, I haven't read about any (I don't know everyone {D )

If you come across some CB, please let me know as this is one of my favorite BTS and another reason I really want to visit Australia.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The link you provided the previous post has a pretty good write-up on the Shinglebacks. Amazing that they're monogamous reptiles and another characteristic that makes them even more desirable pets.

Yep, they are rare very rare. The article states a single or pair of Shinglebacks can cost well over $2000-$4000.

I'll let you know if I ever turn up anything. ;)