Decided it didn't want to molt?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
So last night my chubby premolt A. geroldi was flipped. Yay.

This morning, she's right side up, just hanging out and doing her thing...apparently decided she didn't feel like molting(?)

Did she decide she didn't want to, or maybe prematurely flipped herself because she's a tiny baby and doesn't know how to spider yet, or...?

Edit: she's on her back again

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Doesn't know how to spider yet :rofl: That got me

Yeah, I've seen this a few times, all as slings. Not sure why they do it, but it happens. A moly is always nearby though.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
She's right-side up again. I upped her humidity a teensy bit hoping to help her out because the poor little thing is trying :arghh:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
she's a tiny baby and doesn't know how to spider yet, or...?
Surely you don't mean that? Ts do flip over at times and for unknown reasons flip back over and molt a bit later. A disturbance is the best way to get a T to flip right side up.

She's right-side up again. I upped her humidity a teensy bit hoping to help her out because the poor little thing is trying :arghh:
There's no scientific facts to support increased humidity helps in molting.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Surely you don't mean that? Ts do flip over at times and for unknown reasons flip back over and molt a bit later. A disturbance is the best way to get a T to flip right side up.

There's no scientific facts to support increased humidity helps in molting.
I was being a bit sarcastic about her not knowing how to spider ;)

And in terms of the humidity, since she's a sling she should be kept slightly moist anyway - I didn't "water" her last night when she was flipped because I didn't want to interrupt her. I water my slings somewhat often since my house is very dry. I basically just bumped up her humidity to a level she should be comfortable at instead of leaving her to dry out any more.

I've been very good about not interrupting her so I doubt that's why she keeps flipping. It really seems like she's trying but for some reason can't, because now she's upside down for the third time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find slings to be the least problematic for molting, but that is just my experience.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I wish that were the case for her. She's on her back for the fourth time
It's things like this I am still trying to get used to with Ts. The amount of patience and faith in them we have to have is a bit daunting at times. I'm sure your little one will be fine, watch tomorrow afternoon she will have molted and you can breathe easy again :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I wish that were the case for her. She's on her back for the fourth time
Seriously find something to do for the rest of the night.. Play a video game read a book something.. If you dwell on it your going to drive yourself crazy!

While I wouldn't say that her behavior is completely normal I don't think she is in trouble. Either way you are powerless and nature will take it's course whatever the outcome is.

Good luck with her and good call increasing the humidity IMO.. When I know a T is close to molt I do the same even if Mr. Smarty pants says it's useless.. :mooning: @viper69 :p...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seriously find something to do for the rest of the night.. Play a video game read a book something.. If you dwell on it your going to drive yourself crazy!

While I wouldn't say that her behavior is completely normal I don't think she is in trouble. Either way you are powerless and nature will take it's course whatever the outcome is.

Good luck with her and good call increasing the humidity IMO.. When I know a T is close to molt I do the same even if Mr. Smarty pants says it's useless.. :mooning: @viper69 :p...
It's always great to see you around 14, you are top draw in my book.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
This kind of post makes me rather grateful that my Ts live at my office and nit at home. I miss seeing them but a molt is always a surprise when I get to work. Check the mail, have my coffee, see who molted- woohoo! If I was there while they were molting I think I'd watch them like a hawk.

Anyway, hopefully your T figures it out. Maybe it's like a toddler learning to walk- they fall down a lot!

boina

Lady of the mites
Don't forget to post an update when the baby has molted. :anxious:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
This sure is weird behaviour.....hopefully it will molt anyway!
Yeah it's not like she started molting and then got stuck, she's fully intact and is able to move around normally. The poor little thing :(

Trenor

Arachnoprince
She is just messing with you. My GBB female has been acting like she was ready to molt for the last two months. Halfway through, she sealed herself into her hide and laid down a web mat. Waited a few weeks and re-webbed the mat. I gave up on her molting and was looking to send the MM off and that's when she decide to molt.

It's how the kids treat us. No respect for their parents. :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
She is just messing with you. My GBB female has been acting like she was ready to molt for the last two months. Halfway through, she sealed herself into her hide and laid down a web mat. Waited a few weeks and re-webbed the mat. I gave up on her molting and was looking to send the MM off and that's when she decide to molt.

It's how the kids treat us. No respect for their parents. :)
Ugh so it's my fault...I'm going to yell at hubby for this.