December Queen Ant??

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
I know it's January now, but I found a queen ant back in December. Weird, right? Im in CA, does anyone know of any species that fly in December??

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Most likely Prenolepis imparis, they are a cool weather, species. However California weather being what it is, it is not impossible to see queens of other species pretty much anytime, however they frequently are unmated and do not survive long.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
What species? I know that lasius parasites are often active during the cooler months. Pics would help. Prenolepis tend to fly a bit later.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Hi, so I'm sorry for not responding. I will attach pics tmrw. So the queen I caught in December is still alive, and her gaster has gotten huge, with lots of white space in between (no eggs tho)
About 15 minutes ago I caught another queen (in my house!), and another one this weekend. Im guessing they're Prenolepis Imparis

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Wheeee update: the two December queens have still not layered any eggs, but the feb queven just got her first nanitic! Super excited to watch her colony grow