Deathstalker

BuzMonk

Arachnopeon
Hey, a friend asked me to take care of their scorpion while they were away, and now it's mine apparently. I have never had a scorpion before, I have no idea what I'm doing, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

shrcmka01

Arachnopeon
L.Quinquestriatus, its a desert species , keep it dry at low humidity as they are desert species and feed him once every week or 10 days.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Every other day is really overkill. I only feed my scorpions once a week. Remove the prey item if it doesn’t eat. Deathstalkers have really potent venom (as the name suggests), so always use tweezers. Don’t go near it with your fingers. Keep it really warm, around 85 fahrenheit preferrably. It won’t eat and grow properly otherwise.

grayskyisacat

Arachnopeon
The lid of it's container has a label that says Leiurus quinquestriatus (Red Sea)
deathdtalkers r very venomous so I don’t recommend holding or putting ur fingers near it. try feeding w tweezers every other day (at max)- if he isn’t eating, wait a bit between days.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I'm sorry you had this critter dumped on you, but thank you for taking care of it! A surprising amount of people would have neglected it to death or just put it outside. As others have mentioned, this is a highly venomous scorp, so please exercise caution by using long tongs/paintbrushes/plastic straws to move things around in the enclosure. They don't call it a "deathstalker" for nothin!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Your "friend" just dumped a hot species on you with no explanation or care insight?

That's great 😐

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your "friend" just dumped a hot species on you with no explanation or care insight?

That's great 😐
My thoughts exactly. What <edit> is going on here? I cannot fathom leaving a deadly species to my friend, I would almost prefer euthanizing it than risk it hurting someone or a pet. Something stinks here.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuzMonk

Arachnopeon
I know it seems horrible, but I guess they knew I would take it in and do my best, regardless of how dangerous it is... that's just the way I am...

Here's something on the side... right now it's in a shallow container, but don't scorpions like to burrow? This poor guy doesn't have any space for that. If I got Zorak a kritter keeper, would it work? Build up the sand so he can burrow under it. My concern is, the under tank heater, it doesn't seem to be having any effect on the container he's in now, so it should be okay with the keeper right? Oh, the container he's in is inside a 2.5g tank, and the heater is under the tank, with just a bit under his container, so one side of the container has heat and the other side doesn't. The main problem with his container, is it's too small to get a temperature/humidity reading on it, so I have no idea if it's at the right temp/humidity. If I put him in a keeper, I should be able to track that better right?

I am so sorry to bother you all with this, I just want to make sure I take care of him properly and give him the best care I can so he lives a good life, and hopefully a long one.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated :)

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I know it seems horrible, but I guess they knew I would take it in and do my best, regardless of how dangerous it is... that's just the way I am...

Here's something on the side... right now it's in a shallow container, but don't scorpions like to burrow? This poor guy doesn't have any space for that. If I got Zorak a kritter keeper, would it work? Build up the sand so he can burrow under it. My concern is, the under tank heater, it doesn't seem to be having any effect on the container he's in now, so it should be okay with the keeper right? Oh, the container he's in is inside a 2.5g tank, and the heater is under the tank, with just a bit under his container, so one side of the container has heat and the other side doesn't. The main problem with his container, is it's too small to get a temperature/humidity reading on it, so I have no idea if it's at the right temp/humidity. If I put him in a keeper, I should be able to track that better right?

I am so sorry to bother you all with this, I just want to make sure I take care of him properly and give him the best care I can so he lives a good life, and hopefully a long one.

For my small scorps I do a setup similar to yours, with the heat mat on the side. You don’t need to keep track of exact numbers, as long as it stays warm in your house, the heat mat should do it’s job perfectly fine. In my invert room I typically just close the vents so the ac doesn’t cool it down. It stays between 75-82 year round, and ive raised a fair amount of scorplings the same way as you have this one.

It’s best that before he’s in his adult enclosure, that he doesn’t have a whole lot of digging room to where you can’t locate him. Once he’s settled into his permanent enclosure, feel more than free to do so. For now you’ll want to be able to see it and have easy access to rehouse when the time comes. I don’t know about this species but not all scorpions burrow either.

Because of his small size, I think the deli cup he’s currently in is perfect. Once he molts once or twice, you’ll notice him outgrowing the current enclosure. Then it’ll be time to move it.

edit: just to add, if these guys do like to burrow, I suggest a mixture of clay, sand, and a little dirt. Regular sand doesn’t hold burrows very well but that mixture is what I use for burrowing arid scorps. They love it.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
The size of the cup is okay for now. A critter keeper would work well too. Whatever you prefer. This species doesn’t burrow too much. It might just make a scrape under a rock or something.

You can measure the temperature with an infrared tempgun as well, so that you can get readings anywhere. Humidity is not important in exact numbers. Just make sure it’s very dry.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
is your friend trying to hurt or kill you? Hopefully we can prevent this. Warm and Dry. Feed once a week to 10 days, whole cricket of appropriate size. When you move into a bigger enclose you can probably set the tub in there, take the lid off and tip it slightly and it will come out on its own. Provide it a ledge to hide under when it gets big enough for a new home. As others have said "Use tongs" they have that name for a reason

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Heat mat, if you need one, should be the side not the bottom.

BuzMonk

Arachnopeon
Heat mat, if you need one, should be the side not the bottom.
Thank you!! I do need one, my bedroom stays a little chilly... a desert species about to experience it's first Canadian winter... here's hoping I don't kill the little guy...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you!! I do need one, my bedroom stays a little chilly... a desert species about to experience it's first Canadian winter... here's hoping I don't kill the little guy...
A small water dish should also be available.