Old Timer
Got a few good pics of my Deathstalkers today. enjoy

Phil

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The pointy end...

And here's the business end. Man it would suck to be nailed by one of these or to be a cricket for that matter. :) enjoy

Phil

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Awsome picks Phillip. Your scorp has a really bright yellow color to it. Your pics are nice and sharp. What camera are you using?

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Kugellager
Your scorp has a really bright yellow color to it.
It is indeed very rare to see one quite that bright. Most I have seen have substantialy darker dorsal markings. What sort of lighting are you using, Phil? Primarily your camera's flash?

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Although I'm not Ed...

I was using no flash at all and yes the color is exactly how they look.

Phil

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Although I'm an idiot ...

... and get my names mixed up from post to post, I am still curious about lighting. Sunlight? Incandescent? I find it hard to get the lighting right for my scorpion photography.

Cheers,
Dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Indoor flourescent...

Same as with just about all my pics indoor flourescent lighting. On my Toshiba I had to change the settings for the type of light used to get the true color to show but the Nikon seems to do it just fine by itself.

Phil

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Phil,

Interesting. I've taken some under flourescent and the colouration actualy wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, my setup was such that it tended to leave shadows on the film that I wouldn't pick up by eye. I'll lave to fiddle with it.

Cheers,
Dave

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
To me it looks like a buthus occithanus or Androctonus amoreuxi instead of L. Quenquestriatus. is it a full grown specimen? The pincers seem to be bigger than Leiurus and the dark coloration in the last tail segment is missing.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wow. This is an ancient thread. Anyhow, it doesn't have five keels on the first couple tergites so it is not L.quinquestriatus. Looks like a Buthus to me -- but then I woke up all of two minutes ago.

Cheers,
Dave

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phillip said:
Got a few good pics of my Deathstalkers today. enjoy
Phil
Theres virtually no darkening of the last segment of the metasoma, And all LQ I've seen have had a very distinct darkening (though I don't knwo its strength as an identifing character), I'd agree with the mis-identification suggestion.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cooool, I want to hold one. I like the bright yellow coloring.

I can't wait til' I move out and buy one. :D

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
errit said:
To me it looks like a buthus occithanus or Androctonus amoreuxi instead of L. Quenquestriatus. is it a full grown specimen? The pincers seem to be bigger than Leiurus and the dark coloration in the last tail segment is missing.
I'm agree, it's a Buthus occitanus (segments of the metasoma of A.amoreuxi are a bite more thick, especially the fourth which looks like fourth segment of others Androctonus spp)
Great pics :)
Eric

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah I know it is an old thread but I was just revieuwing the history of this forum because am pretty new here. and it just caught my attention. But my first guess would still be Buthus occithanus. If you compare it to the other LQ picture from MR no name, then it is easy to notice the differences also in the prosoma.

ldcsteelers

Arachnopeon
You can reference my pics as well
Lq and Aa pics thread

The last L.q. pic (in the first post) is a female and she was gravid. Shes the same one in the video I made. :) The babys are about to molt (3rd instar). :D

It's a beautiful scorp, but definitly not an L.q.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would also say Buthus. The shape of the chela and the appearance of the telson in relation to the aculeus are not consistant with Leiurus. Excellent photos.