Deathstalker Babies-questions

Bdflipoy94

Arachnopeon
Hey, I have one deathstalker about 2 inches that ive had since about June. Hes gotten a little bigger and has molted once since I've gotten him. Is it true I can speed feed him so he will grow faster without harming him?? I also just purchased 4 deathstalker babies. I put each one in a separate deli container for now with substrate sand and 2 hiding places. I want to know if I can speed feed them to without harm?? Also how long till I can combine all 5 scorpions together so they can mate?? or is that a bad idea to mate them??

Thanks

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't dump too much food on them ... just be sure they have a steady supply, and they will grow nicely.

My understanding is that deathstalkers are quite solitary. I've only ever had one at a time, so I haven't tested this, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has kept them communally.

If it were me, I'd wait until they're full-grown and then introduce just a male and a female (after making sure both are well-fed). Then keep close watch on them. If you do see mating activity, separate them again afterward, even if they've lived together peacefully up to that point (I once had a male Hadrurus eat the female whom he'd mated with, after they'd been together for months). And of course if you see aggression, separate them, feed them some more, and try again later.

This is my very favorite species. Good luck!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't be in too much of a hurry. You should feed them at a normal pace, not "powerfeed". Take the time that gives you to learn some more about this species and about scorps in general. No offense meant, but you seem pretty new to this thing and it's a bad idea for inexperienced persons to be breeding potentially lethal hot species such as this. Take your time, enjoy your pets and start worrying about breeding a little later down the line.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
yeah what they said, i dont think you can really speedfeed scorpions, they are opportunist eaters, so they eat what they can, on rare occasions in nature, having a very slow metabolism, and very seldom need water or food or even air for the most part. compared to other animals anyway. some grow slow, some grow fast. Ive heard in other cases that overfeeding, could make him too fat and he might have trouble when molting trying to get out of his shell, stress himself, and die in the process. the one you have is meant for the desert, dont give him too much moisture. dessicaria had some good advice. with THIS particular species especially, i know that if you put them together before they are fully mature, they will eat the one that is molting. I hope in the future you do end up with a pair that will give you scorpling babies! I urge you have patience, things take a long time with scorpions in general, especially from baby, to maturity, then to actually giving you a new brood. CONGRATULATIONS on your new scorpions! exercise caution, these bad boys are HOT!

Last edited:

Bdflipoy94

Arachnopeon
Okk thank for the info, Ill just wait till their around full growth then. But when they are all fully grown can I put all 5 together or no?? And I feed them 2 crickets a week is that ok??

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
Okk thank for the info, Ill just wait till their around full growth then. But when they are all fully grown can I put all 5 together or no?? And I feed them 2 crickets a week is that ok??
I really recommend against putting them all together as a permanent living situation, even when they're full-grown. I understand the wish to keep animals in the same enclosure - takes up less space, less time to work with one tank as opposed to several, and it's nice to see peaceful interactions - but these are to the best of my knowledge *not* a communal species. Not worth the risk of tragedy, IMO.

Feeding schedule sounds fine, though I usually toss in a handful of crickets once a week or so and let my animals hunt. With just one or two crickets, I always worry that they may not find them.

Bdflipoy94

Arachnopeon
Ok thx, when they get bigger I'll take a pix of each one so I can get help tellin the females from males, so I can breed

bugfoodwhenidie

Arachnopeon
lq's

weeeeelllll,
i am trying an experiment on the communal approach on keeping lq's,
so far though i have 29 babies, all but 6 are housed seperate. i have 6 2nd instars living in a smallish enclosure, couple of rocks for hides, with feeding every 5 days with 1 week crickets. so far, so good. i never got any good response from "experts" so i have been trying different things. it seems to be common though, dryer is better with these guys. with only slight occasional watering. they are though so far my favorite, with pretty neat baby colors

here is one of my babies{D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=194934&l=c5bb3bce94&id=100000936140840

jay1984

Arachnopeon
can anybody plz direct me to a good website to buy deathstalkers and or fat tail scorpions or arizona bark scorpions. i have been searching the internet and i get taken in circles.id appreciate it

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can anybody plz direct me to a good website to buy deathstalkers and or fat tail scorpions or arizona bark scorpions. i have been searching the internet and i get taken in circles.id appreciate it
there's a good reason theyre giving you the run around. fattails and deathstalkers are no joke.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you keep scorpions constantly in the high end of the ideal temperature spectrum, their metabolism will increase and thus they will feed more. Certain people call this "hotboxes" and feed 2-3 times a week 'power feeding', instead of once.
So in a way yes in SOME species you can "speed up growth". If it's clever, I dont think so and I do not see the purpose of this, other than to sooth ones impatience. The hobby is about the animals, not about the keepers ;)
I say some species, because will simply refuse to feed regardless of the temps in their surroundings.