Death reasons: dehydration or mites

How do you maintain your substrates for avics?

• Total voters

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Basically its a question of an always dry substrate or an always moist substrate.

Ive been keeping some slings for a while now and in my experience, more Ts are killed by mites over dehydration. This is the reason why even for avicularia species, I now keep my substrate dry and mist regularly.

Anyone care to share their experiences too?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For what it's worth - the mites that are moisture-dependent are living in or on the soil of your cages, and are not parasitic on your tarantulas. Parasitic mites will live in the same conditions as the tarantulas. Actually, there are some mites that can survive under rather extreme hot and dry conditions. Some predatory mites that my wife works with are found at mid-day during the summer heat here in the Sonoran Desert - on top of small rocks in full sunlight. Surface temperatures high enough to burn your hands, and dry as the desert gets. And these mites are healthy and active.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All i can say is i cannot stand mites!! Had to wash a gazillion off my rtb one time not good... :(

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Iv only ever seen mites in a cage once. And I keep a t stirmi. As long as you pick up food boluses. I would be worried about mold.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for your votes and comments guys. Hmmm... more people maintain moist substrates... I was kinda expecting this but again, my experience has brought me to death caused by mites.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Ive never had an avic species, but my best guess would be, if its a sling, you want it moist, but a full grown species Ive herd can be maintained with NO substrate and just a big water dish, since they never go on the ground typically. And the water dish should be fine for humidity levels. And obviously no mites if you have no substrate.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mainly dry sub,..water dish, wit the odd misting of ones side of the enclosure.I have never had an avic of any type have trouble in these conditions.....the around my area is naturaly humid/moist, so im sure that helps....

rabidchipmunk91

Arachnopeon
I just over flow the water dish a little and mist once or twice a week(depending on how dry the air in my room is). As long as the substrate isn't soaking and you keep the enclosure clean there shouldn't be a problem.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have any luck with Avics though they are my favorite genus. I've tried everything I can to keep the humidity up and I always lose them in a molt. I just can't keep humidity lovers in my house at all.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I just got three A. juruensis and three A. diversipes slings. I'm really going for the dry subs with weekly misting along with the other 7 who voted so. Wish me luck guys!