Death of A. avic

christinas

Arachnosquire
Hello,

I just found my A. avic dead in his cage, for no apparent reason that I can see. Just a few days ago he was crawling around, ate last meal about three weeks ago... He's been a MM for 13 months but never made a sperm web. What went wrong?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello,

I just found my A. avic dead in his cage, for no apparent reason that I can see. Just a few days ago he was crawling around, ate last meal about three weeks ago... He's been a MM for 13 months but never made a sperm web. What went wrong?
Males do not have a long time to live once they are mature. 13 months is pretty normal.

Nothing went wrong. Nature took its course.

christinas

Arachnosquire
@darkness975 Thanks. ... do you have any idea why he never made a sperm web though? Or at least not that I could see. He used to web a lot at the beginning, especially as a sling (I had him for years) but then webbed less and less as the time went on.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
@darkness975 Thanks. ... do you have any idea why he never made a sperm web though? Or at least not that I could see. He used to web a lot at the beginning, especially as a sling (I had him for years) but then webbed less and less as the time went on.
They will often break down their sperm webs. You sometimes have to be quick to catch it. I watched my MM make a sperm web and fill his palps last Saturday morning, but it was gone within a couple of hours.

cold blood

Staff member
I bet if you posted a pic of his enclosure we would be able to point out remnants of sperm webs.

They just look like a thicker line of web.

This is two in the corner

christinas

Arachnosquire
Oh okay. ... I already cleaned out the enclosure since it started to smell but he sure did have some old webbing in there. Too bad, but hopefully he lived a good life and did not suffer.