Death feigning beetles & expanding foam??

Jamesahd

Arachnopeon
Hello!
I’m currently building a bioactive enclosure for Blue DFB’s. I’ve created a background out of expanding foam and will be painting it and then covering with 100% silicone and finishing it off with sand.
Will the beetles eat through the expanding foam? Will I need to cover it in an epoxy resin beforehand?
Cheers!

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Define "bioactive" in your enclosure. If you're planning on putting springtails, isopods,and/or other small microfauna into your BDF tank, it won't work. That tank will be much too dry for them to survive, among a few other problems you'd encounter. If you're just planting it, that should be fine, just make sure to have plenty of light.

I can't speak as to whether they'd eat through the foam and silicone. Even if they don't, I suspect the larvae might.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Yeah I have to admit to being highly skeptical of the safety of any foam in an invert enclosure. If possible, I would avoid its use.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I made an expanding foam ring around a bucket that I used as a planter in my desert beetle tank.
I made it as a barrier to help separate the plant's substrate from the beetle's sand.
They have chewed on it a bit, but nothing substantial.
I don't believe it has caused any deaths, but I have a lot of beetles in there, so take this anecdote with a grain of salt.