Death Curl-Like Stance?

joossa

Arachnobaron
I was about to clean out my B. hamorii's water tonight and as I approached her tank, I immediately noticed she was in some kind of death curl looking stance. I kind of panicked and took some quick pictures (took less than a minute).

After taking the pictures, I went to remove the tank lid clamps so I could remove the lid. To my surprise, right after taking the first lid clamp off (there are four total), her legs sprung back out and she went back into a normal stance. I checked how responsive she'd be and poked her softly with a paint brush. She was very responsive and moved along as I poked her fine. Pictures below.

I called my brother, who has been keeping Ts for years and said she may have been doing some grooming. I didn't notice her cleaning her legs or anything like that since I was rushing to take the pics and then open the tank up.

I am still alarmed and want to get all of your opinions. Do T's go into a death curl-like stance without being in a dire situation? My T always has access to water (she has two water bowls) and has a good size abdomen. She hasn't eaten since I got her in late Jan 2021, though (she's refused food). I saw her moving around a bit in her enclosure today per normal. Thoughts?

Pics of her in the death curl-like stance:

Pics of her 30 seconds later after taking the lid off:

Pic of her after I poked her with a paint brush a couple times and she moved:

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
My Encyocratella olivacea often does that.

AC0AA52C-A86F-48B8-A4BB-D6D8EF1AF1B1.jpeg

F15735ED-C72C-4EEB-972D-E5567C8C2F21.jpeg

C103E8D0-E1B6-4899-AA2B-A895B7A28DDE.jpeg

1. It could be just faking.
2. It could be dehydrated.

Either way, check if your tarantula is in need of water.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Quit poking!

Your T is fine looking from here.

Last edited:

joossa

Arachnobaron
I doubt dehydration is the issue. She has two bowls. I know she gets her feet in them almost every night since there is a bit of soil in them the day after I change them every single time, which indicates she is able to find them when she needs to.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I doubt dehydration is the issue. She has two bowls. I know she gets her feet in them almost every night since there is a bit of soil in them the day after I change them every single time, which indicates she is able to find them when she needs to.
There’s nothing to worry about then

Have had Ts make similar body posture

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just a B.hamorii taking a bath. Nothing to worry about. ;)
Please don't poke your spider.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I was about to clean out my B. hamorii's water tonight and as I approached her tank, I immediately noticed she was in some kind of death curl looking stance. I kind of panicked and took some quick pictures (took less than a minute).

After taking the pictures, I went to remove the tank lid clamps so I could remove the lid. To my surprise, right after taking the first lid clamp off (there are four total), her legs sprung back out and she went back into a normal stance. I checked how responsive she'd be and poked her softly with a paint brush. She was very responsive and moved along as I poked her fine. Pictures below.

I called my brother, who has been keeping Ts for years and said she may have been doing some grooming. I didn't notice her cleaning her legs or anything like that since I was rushing to take the pics and then open the tank up.

I am still alarmed and want to get all of your opinions. Do T's go into a death curl-like stance without being in a dire situation? My T always has access to water (she has two water bowls) and has a good size abdomen. She hasn't eaten since I got her in late Jan 2021, though (she's refused food). I saw her moving around a bit in her enclosure today per normal. Thoughts?

Pics of her in the death curl-like stance:

Pics of her 30 seconds later after taking the lid off:

Pic of her after I poked her with a paint brush a couple times and she moved:

It's fine.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I've had a lot of my Ts in this posture quite frequently and I'm still on the watch. Never had Ts die from it but it seems that this is a normal thing.
Although I saw one of them in a similar posture while twitching its leg vigorously, that I'm still concerned about.