Deals that seem too good to be true

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Hello all!
So earlier today i went to an expo, and thought that I'd share today's experience. I went to an expo hoping to trade off my MM darlingi, unfortunately none of the sellers that i know currently need any MM darlingis, since they are having a surplus rn. But i didn't come home empty handed since one of my trusted sellers (the guy that i bought my first T actually!) was selling off juve female OBTs for a ridiculously cheap price. I got a 9-10cm OBT for 9$ US dollar.
A865A63F-20A7-49E8-AFEC-374127F7AA78.jpeg 04F8DE06-2CB4-4D46-9CD2-44E9C98ABB4C.jpeg
This fiesty beauty ALL FOR 9$!!!!!!
It really made my day :) would love to hear your experiences with crazy cheap deals!

Thank you in advance, Maman

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My first experience of "these prices are too good to be true" was looking at a listing here, not yet knowing what brown boxing was, and that the seller was on a different continent. The prices were WAY out of line with all of the reputable US dealers. A sling that cost $50 here was like $8 in this listing, that kind of thing.

I never did any brown boxing, because it's just not worth the risk to me, but it can be confusing to see those super cheap listings when you're new to the hobby.

You can get some really good deals at expos, though. You eliminate shipping costs, although there is usually a small entrance fee.

Last edited:

MainMann

Arachnosquire
My first experience of "these prices are too good to be true" was looking at a listing here, not yet knowing what brown boxing was, and that the seller was on a different continent. The prices were WAY out of line with all of the reputable US dealers. A sling that cost $50 here was like $8 in this listing, that kind of thing.

I never did any brown boxing, because it's just not worth the risk to me, but it can be confusing to see those super cheap listings when you're new to the hobby.

You can get some really good deals at expos, though. You eliminate shipping costs, although there is usually a small entrance fee.
Yup, you can get some really good deals on expos especially if you personally know the dealers. And I'm still slightly caution about shipping between islands, because so far I've only shipped with same day service, fearing that too far a trip could endanger the T

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I can't wait. We have two expos coming in the fall here and I've never been to one. My daughter and I are putting together our wish list and hoping to coming back with a new baby or two. :)

DancingHare

Arachnopeon
I can't wait. We have two expos coming in the fall here and I've never been to one. My daughter and I are putting together our wish list and hoping to coming back with a new baby or two. :)
Yeah I'm getting my first T at one tomorrow!! And then I have a local one coming up in September. I'm sure I will need another one by then!

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Very nice!! Hope you two have a great time there! Try to control yourself and not go overboard and buy a warehouse worth of Ts :p

Yeah I'm getting my first T at one tomorrow!! And then I have a local one coming up in September. I'm sure I will need another one by then!
Hope you make a great first choice! I got my second T around a month after i got my first one, i just enjoyed the hobby too much lol

Last edited by a moderator:

MrWotiWo

Arachnopeon
Hope you make a great first choice! I got my second T around a month after i got my first one, i just enjoyed the hobby too much lol
I got my second and third sling about 2 weeks after getting my first T. There is something about this hobby and reptiles thats addicting haha

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congratulations! Get that beauty into a proper set up so she can settle in :)

And I'm still slightly caution about shipping between islands
In the US, it is illegal to bring spiders in from other countries... it is called "brown boxing" because illegally imported spiders are placed in plain, nondescript looking packages with the hopes that they won't catch the attention of Customs inspectors.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Congratulations! Get that beauty into a proper set up so she can settle in :)

In the US, it is illegal to bring spiders in from other countries... it is called "brown boxing" because illegally imported spiders are placed in plain, nondescript looking packages with the hopes that they won't catch the attention of Customs inspectors.
oh i see! i guess it's also in a gray area here in Indonesia. big sellers here can ship anywhere in Indonesia, and technically it isn't illegal to ship animals here, but all shipping agents here have fees for live animal shipping that are insanely expensive! So sellers just "brown box" it here also.

Manray

Arachnopeon
Today I found a hidden gem of a pet store that I never new about right next to my house. Surprisingly there were tons of great Ts at great prices. They were actually kept in good conditions unlike most pet stores. The enclosures were correct for the specific species. A couple seemed a little stressed out but that was probably due to the light and shop traffic. They had even some ow Ts. They had a Thailand Black for 45 us dollars! It was an adult although it was deep in its burrow (typical) so I couldn’t get a good look at it. The shop owner is definitely a daring guy that’s for sure. At least by my standards. Anyways, I thought all the Ts were a really good deal.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
There’s a local breeder who sells small CB females at prices similar to those of unsexed slings. I got a 2” female A. avic for $20 and passed up a $60 G. actaeon female. I always check out his booth at expos.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We can ship Ts within the country (with the exception of a few Pokie species now) but only via private couriers (though technically it is still against their rules, it isn't illegal like it is to use the federal postal system). And people can import from other countries if they have the proper permits.

Today I found a hidden gem of a pet store
What part of California are you in??

They had a Thailand Black for 45 us dollars!
That is because Asian species are captured en masse for food in their native countries, and then some are exported for dirt cheap (on our end) to the US. The actual species is hard to nail down, and you are getting an adult/sub-adult of unknown age and sex. I don't know what makes him daring? Because he has OW Ts available?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Today I found a hidden gem of a pet store that I never new about right next to my house. Surprisingly there were tons of great Ts at great prices. They were actually kept in good conditions unlike most pet stores. The enclosures were correct for the specific species. A couple seemed a little stressed out but that was probably due to the light and shop traffic. They had even some ow Ts. They had a Thailand Black for 45 us dollars! It was an adult although it was deep in its burrow (typical) so I couldn’t get a good look at it. The shop owner is definitely a daring guy that’s for sure. At least by my standards. Anyways, I thought all the Ts were a really good deal.
Always real nice to find shops like this! Unlike the petshop a few kilos from my house, the way for hey keep their inverts are absolutely terrible!

I gave 90usd for a female t stirmi at an expo once. That's about the best deal iv had : )
Oh that's a very nice deal! T stirmi slings fetch up to 110$ here!

There’s a local breeder who sells small CB females at prices similar to those of unsexed slings. I got a 2” female A. avic for $20 and passed up a $60 G. actaeon female. I always check out his booth at expos.
Wow! 20$ for a 2" avic is a steeeaaal!! My guy is selling 1-2cm Avicularia juruensis for 23$, quite a bit more expensive

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Yea that's alright y'all go enjoy your amazing expo's, I'll be sulking here since we don't have any in Australia :embarrassed::(

Just kidding, mine is in the process of arriving at the moment, but got an AF P.Strennus for just about $100 AUD. Normally they are upwards of $160 here so a decent deal if you ask me. She'll be here around the 30th

Manray

Arachnopeon
We can ship Ts within the country (with the exception of a few Pokie species now) but only via private couriers (though technically it is still against their rules, it isn't illegal like it is to use the federal postal system). And people can import from other countries if they have the proper permits.

What part of California are you in??

That is because Asian species are captured en masse for food in their native countries, and then some are exported for dirt cheap (on our end) to the US. The actual species is hard to nail down, and you are getting an adult/sub-adult of unknown age and sex. I don't know what makes him daring? Because he has OW Ts available?
I am in the east bay. I only say it is daring because I am new to the hobby and I think I would rip my hair out trying to rehouse it. Like I said it was only daring by my standards because I am still a beginner with only nw Ts.

Always real nice to find shops like this! Unlike the petshop a few kilos from my house, the way for hey keep their inverts are absolutely terrible!
It’s always a real shame. I hate going to petsmart and seeing the avics there in a small terrestrial enclosure with 1 inch of substrate, a sponge in the dish, and no hide or fake plants at all. :((

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am in the east bay. I only say it is daring because I am new to the hobby and I think I would rip my hair out trying to rehouse it. Like I said it was only daring by my standards because I am still a beginner with only nw Ts.
Is it the shop in Berkeley? They have been around for decades and are awesome!!

Ahh, I see :) Everyone starts somewhere!

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Wow! 20$ for a 2" avic is a steeeaaal!! My guy is selling 1-2cm Avicularia juruensis for 23$, quite a bit more expensive
Right?! How could I not buy a gorgeous little Avic at that price. Is 3$ a lot more there? Here it wouldn’t even buy me a cup of coffee, so I would easily throw it at an A. juruensis, haha. Probably I misunderstand the currency difference. :)