Dealing with P. murinus sling

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got a 3/4 inch P. murinus, and its quite difficult to deal with! I have it in a small plastic container, slightly larger than a deli cup, with vermiculite as a substrate. The problem is that the only way to get a cricket in, or put a drop of water on the side is to pop off the whole lid, at which time the little guy bolts immediately for freedom. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!{D

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Put your cup in a bigger cage when you need to open it up. Have a lid handy if he jumps out

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Build in a feeding port. In case of a deli cup that could be a hole in the lid and a piece of cork jammed into it.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Build in a feeding port. In case of a deli cup that could be a hole in the lid and a piece of cork jammed into it.
i love simple ingenuity! i can't believe i haven't thought of that yet....i am gonna definitely do this with my 1" p. ornata since it loves hangin out upside down on the top of its enclosure. it also loves jumping from the top onto the tiny water dish(chap stik cap) or from the side up to the top. it reminds me of spider-man. i love you simple geniuses on here!!! :D :worship: :D

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks!

I have been placing the container in a larger cage when I need to open it, and i find myself recapturing the spider almost every time:} . I will try installing a feeding port. Thanks so much for the tips, everyone!

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
i love simple ingenuity! i can't believe i haven't thought of that yet....i am gonna definitely do this with my 1" p. ornata since it loves hangin out upside down on the top of its enclosure. it also loves jumping from the top onto the tiny water dish(chap stik cap) or from the side up to the top. it reminds me of spider-man. i love you simple geniuses on here!!! :D :worship: :D
Thank you very much! It was simple really... :D

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since you've all helped so much so far, guess I might as well ask a few more questions :} . What temperature is optimal for the sling? I have it at about 80 degrees right now, because I want it to grow quickly. Is that temp ok? Thanks in advance,
Mando

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Since you've all helped so much so far, guess I might as well ask a few more questions :} . What temperature is optimal for the sling? I have it at about 80 degrees right now, because I want it to grow quickly. Is that temp ok? Thanks in advance,
Mando
I don't think you'll have any serious problem with slow growth with a P.m. in the first place ;) . They're very fast growers from the beginning.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Come to think of it, it may be safer using a screw (with a flat bottom) rather than a cork.

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol, thanks for the tip, Cirith. I'm just impatient I guess, and want to start looking like a real T :} . By the way, The Lord of the Rings rules {D

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is very good well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: if only i could think like that lol :? :? :? :? :? ***** phil

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I realize that the sling and the deli cup are small, but you could also try giving it something small to hide in/web to. A tiny flowerpot or the sprig/leaf of a fake plant could work. Something like that might encourage the sling to run and hide instead of running for freedom.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why don't you just reach in and grab the little peach :D