Dealing with defensive T's

SRirish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
While performing some maintenance around one of my T's I had accidentally touched it with the metal tongs I was working with and the T immediately attacked the tongs (no harm to the T) and threat posed on the spot.

After the dramatic (and somewhat entertaining) episode I suddenly thought "What the hell do I do if I have to get it out of it's cage?"

So how do you deal with your defensive T's and get them out of the cage?
I've heard of the cup method before, but I had some bad luck last time I tried it.

Thanks for the replies {D

Last edited:

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a 32oz tall deli cup or 16oz depending on size of tarantula and gently place it over the spider wigle it a bit let it walk in and then put a lid on it and your done.

Buckshot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used 2 hand nets to move my L striatus.
No way in hell that i will handle that little monster.
She strikes at the tongs when i´m trying to do some maintence.
Then she tries to bite herself out of the cage to follow the intruder.:eek:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rocket powered net gun, tazer, tranq darts and a lasso.

Seriously, you will rarely have a transfer of a defensive species go smoothly and "by the numbers". Improvisaton is key.

For terrestrials I usually use some variation of the cup method but for burrowers I often end up digging the whole burrow out and dumping the spider along with the remaining dirt into a big tub. Then I seperate T from dirt and either cup it or just scoot it directly into the new enclosure or whatever. In any case, since I usually do these by myself I make sure to have an assortmnt of wooden spoons, chopsticks, tongs, brushes, cups, whatever within arms reach so I can react to any contingincy without having to leave the room to get a tool.

To be honest, i'm more apprehensive about moving jumpy speedy arboreals like pokies and psalmo's than the feistier, bitier guys like OBT's or haplos.

SRirish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rocket powered net gun, tazer, tranq darts and a lasso.

Seriously, you will rarely have a transfer of a defensive species go smoothly and "by the numbers". Improvisaton is key.

For terrestrials I usually use some variation of the cup method but for burrowers I often end up digging the whole burrow out and dumping the spider along with the remaining dirt into a big tub. Then I seperate T from dirt and either cup it or just scoot it directly into the new enclosure or whatever. In any case, since I usually do these by myself I make sure to have an assortmnt of wooden spoons, chopsticks, tongs, brushes, cups, whatever within arms reach so I can react to any contingincy without having to leave the room to get a tool.

To be honest, i'm more apprehensive about moving jumpy speedy arboreals like pokies and psalmo's than the feistier, bitier guys like OBT's or haplos.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll make sure to remember your method etown. I'm actually fine dealing with arboreals as long as I'm in an empty room. The bitey one(s) I'm more cautious about because I've never been bit before (and plan on keeping it that way:D )

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Deli cups are our friends! Also I always have everything in my bathtub when I'm working with a more skittish species so that if it does escape it isn't really going anywhere too fast.

And if it goes into a threat pose, it just means its easier to get the entire thing into a deli cup without worrying about pinching its legs! This doesn't mean I'm suggesting you encourage a threat pose though, just saying dont be too intimidated by it.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sledge hammer or, if you're like me and just don't care, pick it up. :D

--the nature boy

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One saving grace I suppose for a bolting T is that it wont go far as the book lungs cant support a 100 meter sprint. They will generally stop and that then allows you to deli cup the buggar. Keep a deli cup in your T room. An essential piece of kit as you dont wanna go dashing to the kitchen looking for one while your T is on the loose !!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Make sure your enclosures are escape proof.

My OBT's enclosure had two large rocks on it which were really needed. Don't underestimate the strength of a determined tarantula.

When doing transfers. I try to have everything I could possibly need close at hand. Tweezers, catch cup, cardboard, various proding tools, oven mitts for some (yes, oven mitts). lol

All this stuff is also handy in case of an escape. Flashlight is also a required item.

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Arrrrgh the dreaded defensive T. transfer, every time I transfer a T. over that is defensive or potent in venom, and thinks go sour when trying I usually start sweating like a fat man wearing a ski suit in Georgia heat. Like most have said I usually will find an adequate size deli cup for the T. and slowly and gently maneuver it over the T. and prod its back legs into the deeper end of the cup, quickly put the lid on, and continue on....getting it back out can prove just as tricky from time to time.