Deadly tarantula girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't necessarily agree or disagree with that.. Take my baboons for example... I have one P. muticus that closes her self off and refuses live prey left on the surface.. When I open her burrow and toss a cricket in she eats no problem..

I have another that has made a deep burrow but leaves her entrance open and eats like a champ..

The first one mentioned will continue to be housed on just enough substrate to cover her by about 2 inches untill she stops sealing herself off so that I can keep her eating.

I have 3 H. Crassipes that one of which stayed burrowed untill she came out to die for whatever strange reason.. Since housing her in a small enclosure with less than an inch of substrate she is eating and drinking regularly...

The other two are thriving in there deep dark burrows.. I will be housing them different very soon now that the male has matured.. I feel it will be much easier to introduce the pair multiple times (if necessary) and monitor the female if they are in containers that only have 5-6 inches of substrate instead of close to a foot..

There's alot of different ways and reasons why people keep there Ts the way they do.. As long as the Ts are doing good long term they are being housed and cared for correctly.. Just because we don't universally agree with the method of housing or care doesn't make it wrong.

Her Ts all look and behave like they are healthy and many breed for her.. So yes much of what she does is different but it works and that's what matters.
So what is the difference in all the user threads in this forum where people jump on others for not enough substrate? Are we saying this goes away? The only species where I have seen people say it isn't needed is for arboreal T's.
Read the post Just above the one you posted.. Lol..

As far as what I said about school these fools.. Sorry you didn't get my attempt at humor.. I can't make everyone laugh all the time I guess..
Okay :D. My fault. I have seen some heated threads in this forum today so maybe I am a little tense after a long work day.

I suppose I am just completely confused on why we have loads of threads where people are telling others that more substrate is needed and nobody is saying the opposite.

ChrisTy

Arachnoaddict
Here it goes... IMO personally bashing someone because you don't agree with their videos is pretty cruel. Her husbandry skills are pretty different than what you would come here to learn. Not everyone is going to agree with these, but as has been stated before, she has maintained a very large collection for many years. She has to be doing something right in order for that collection to even exist. If someone followed her care, they wouldn't be dooming their T to certain death either. When looking at tarantula videos I wouldn't go to hers first for husbandry information, but I have watched her videos and she can still explain the basics pretty well. One would be able to learn temperaments of different species and things to that effect still. I also wouldn't rank her in the bottom either. There are way, way, way, worse videos out there about tarantula husbandry. I don't know how many videos contain a younger kids who barely bought their first T, and is trying to make a feeding video while spouting off care that coincides with the horrible care sheets found online. You can disagree with her husbandry techniques. You can chose to not watch her videos. If you haven't met her in person, then maybe don't make your disagreements personal ones. If you would like to see better videos out there I am sure there is plenty of talented people on this forum who can share their knowledge. Maybe we should post threads trying to get people together to make more informative videos, that some feel are necessary, than to make personal bashing threads.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
:banghead:

Why is it even a discussion? Sure, she uses her body to try and get views. There's no real denying that. So what? Are you all telling me that you don't use some kind of physical trait to get what you want? I'm covered in tattoos, and you better believe I play the part of "scary dude with ink" so people leave me alone in public. I'm an introvert, and I use my tattoos to my advantage. It doesn't make me a bad person. If she uses her physique to get views, then all the power to her.

What makes her a bad keeper is how she treats her tarantulas. There is absolutely no argument for putting an obligate burrower in a few inches of substrate. That's inexcusable - the exact same thing as putting an arboreal in an enclosure with no climbing room. The last video I watched of hers was a feeding video, and she had a GBB in an enclosure with no anchor points, a Ceratogyrus sp. in an enclosure with no hide and no burrowing room, and a pokie in an enclosure with no cork bark. That's wrong, period. Just because she's successfully bred spiders doesn't make her a good keeper, it means she's good at keeping them alive.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
. That's wrong, period. Just because she's successfully bred spiders doesn't make her a good keeper, it means she's good at keeping them alive.
with all the stories and whatnot of people losing them and finding them months later, some of her cages are just a notch above that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Why is it even a discussion? Sure, she uses her body to try and get views. There's no real denying that. So what? Are you all telling me that you don't use some kind of physical trait to get what you want? I'm covered in tattoos, and you better believe I play the part of "scary dude with ink" so people leave me alone in public. I'm an introvert, and I use my tattoos to my advantage. It doesn't make me a bad person. If she uses her physique to get views, then all the power to her.
Now I swear I want to see those tattoos :angelic: I've watched some of your videos (not every of them, sorry man :kiss:) and I didn't noticed those :-s

What makes her a bad keeper is how she treats her tarantulas. There is absolutely no argument for putting an obligate burrower in a few inches of substrate. That's inexcusable - the exact same thing as putting an arboreal in an enclosure with no climbing room. The last video I watched of hers was a feeding video, and she had a GBB in an enclosure with no anchor points, a Ceratogyrus sp. in an enclosure with no hide and no burrowing room, and a pokie in an enclosure with no cork bark. That's wrong, period. Just because she's successfully bred spiders doesn't make her a good keeper, it means she's good at keeping them alive.
10 e Lode.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Now I swear I want to see those tattoos :angelic: I've watched some of your videos (not every of them, sorry man :kiss:) and I didn't noticed those :-s

10 e Lode.
My legs :kiss: I think there's only one video that shows them, not sure though.

"10 e Lode"?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So what is the difference in all the user threads in this forum where people jump on others for not enough substrate? Are we saying this goes away? The only species where I have seen people say it isn't needed is for arboreal T's.

Okay :D. My fault. I have seen some heated threads in this forum today so maybe I am a little tense after a long work day.

I suppose I am just completely confused on why we have loads of threads where people are telling others that more substrate is needed and nobody is saying the opposite.
After being in this hobby for so long I have come to a point where I only lay out my personal experience and or opinions and leave it there.. I don't get involved in elaborating on my opinions much anymore..

I do what works for me, I share it sometimes, offer advice or opinions and walk away.. Which is what I'm doing on this thread :)...

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
If you want to be a YouTube star or the face of the hobby you have to expect some criticism. You are putting yourself out there and the internet is a cruel world.

I don't really care if she's showing off the body to get attention ( which she absolutely is) though. What bothers me in her videos is that dam rattlesnake or what ever the hell it is that never shuts up in the background lol.

Later, Tom

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Ok lets put her "expert info" into context (or into perspective)

I had a real life friend, now 38 ish who was notorious for drinking and driving.
He has 20+ years experience driving sober and drunk (i.e. shes an expert w/ 20+ years keeping T's).

He's never been in an accident, pulled over, or anything (i.e. Her collection is alive and well).

So if my old drunk friend were to explain drinking an driving was ok etc etc etc, and citing his 20+ years experience then "doing it a little different" (as some keep suggesting she does and is acceptible and ok).
Then by the logic some are using to defend her methods, ok to drink an drive per my little real life story.

Same years experience, same "good" results but you see the issue rite?
If you dont, allow me to explain lol

Drinking and driving is wrong the same as bad husbantry is wrong.
Whats right is right, an whats wrong is wrong.
Not having an issue thus far does NOT mean shes doing anything rite it just means so far she has not had issue and doesnt make her advice or husbantry even slightly credible or valid.

I have seen some of her videos and just cant find any value to the hobby in them.

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
FYI - Her videos are filmed in a sealed room that houses almost all of their animals. That room is HOT. I know - I get hot in there, and I'm not a person who overheats easily, being from the desert and all (which btw is where she lives, 100+ degree temps is normal, but how dare she not wear a turtleneck in a hot environment since boobs are so bad :rolleyes:)

I've had some cleavage in some of my videos. OH NO! i must be stoopid :(

People find the oddest things to judge someone on. Marita and her husband do a lot of breeding, successfully, and have been for a very long time. They don't need to advertise most of the time for their slings because they're dang near pre-sold to some of the biggest buyers in the hobby.

As for her persona - Her Facebook, her YouTube, etc., it's a persona. You all don't think Bear Grylls or whoever that Survivorman guy was are actually out in the wilderness alone either, right? (Hint: They weren't). That doesn't mean she doesn't know how to breed or how to care for an animal. They rarely have any animals die. Or get loose and run off. Less than me, if I'm honest.

As for the substrate argument, yes heights should be avoided, but shallower containers = less room to fall. The room the Ts are in is generally kept dark (there are lights on animals that need them for the heat or UV but as for overhead room lights, nope). There aren't dogs or kids or people walking by the enclosures. It's quiet, warm, and dark. Tell me, how many of YOU have such a place for your animals? Somewhere they aren't bothered for, oh, 23 hours of the day?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There aren't dogs or kids or people walking by the enclosures. It's quiet, warm, and dark. Tell me, how many of YOU have such a place for your animals? Somewhere they aren't bothered for, oh, 23 hours of the day?
Me :)

My room (where I keep my inverts) is quiet, warm, and dark to the point that opening the shutter will create the "Die, you Vampire!" effect in no time :-s

cold blood

Staff member
The room the Ts are in is generally kept dark (there are lights on animals that need them for the heat or UV but as for overhead room lights, nope). There aren't dogs or kids or people walking by the enclosures. It's quiet, warm, and dark. Tell me, how many of YOU have such a place for your animals? Somewhere they aren't bothered for, oh, 23 hours of the day?
I do:cigar:...

sounds a lot like my room actually...only my room appears to be smaller;)

cold blood

Staff member
Me :)

My room (where I keep my inverts) is quiet, warm, and dark to the point that opening the shutter will create the "Die, you Vampire!" effect in no time :-s
I think its just a serious keeper thing and not unique to any one special keeper in particular.....am I wrong?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think its just a serious keeper thing and not unique to any one special keeper in particular.....am I wrong?
Well, during late Spring and Summer (my comment prior was for Winter) I'd love to give them a Day/Night effect -- however always in a semi-darkness... not sure if I can explain well to you in English, btw:-s

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Seems like I see a lot of people asking if X will bother their T... the tv, their pets, their kids, light, kitchen smells, etc. So I don't think it's that common.

I use to have a separate room for animals. I don't anymore. But I will when we buy a bigger house this spring. But I'll never be someone who buys $100 ExoTerras for $10 spiders. That's not happening lol. You get a shoebox and you get a shoebox and everyone gets a shoebox! :rofl:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
FYI - Her videos are filmed in a sealed room that houses almost all of their animals. That room is HOT. I know - I get hot in there, and I'm not a person who overheats easily, being from the desert and all (which btw is where she lives, 100+ degree temps is normal, but how dare she not wear a turtleneck in a hot environment since boobs are so bad :rolleyes:)
Fair enough. Makes sense. It just looks a bit odd, like the camera guy is standing on something to get the better cleavage angle or something lol. Maybe that's my own perversion issue looking to far into it though lol. Like I said I couldn't care less either way, in fact good for her if shes not shy about it. That said, why isn't the husband in any of the videos then ? Seems calculated to me. She's click bait lol, the husband....? ( no offense to either of them , I'm just sayin ;) )

Later, Tom

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Seems like I see a lot of people asking if X will bother their T... the tv, their pets, their kids, light, kitchen smells, etc. So I don't think it's that common.
Yup, so true :angelic:

Here there's a perfect scenario where old good Chris advices can enter:

- no more brainwashing machine (TV)

- one of my former MM (he's sterylized) cats named Cips aka Pikouse aka Cipsino aka Cippo Lippo aka Picozza (all of my cats have more than a name and they know that) guards my room, sleeping in the bed. No interest at all for arachnids/inverts, aside opening only one eye in full lazy mode if a genus Psalmopoeus climbs, then he sleep again. The others are always up to something, mostly killing those that fly, outside or only God know exactly where. They gather only for food time :-s

- kids. For real? o_O

- light/s. Talked prior

- kitchen smell. It's a duty of every good citizen to support the local economy, hail to restaurants :)

cold blood

Staff member
You are referencing the casual keeper, I was not:)...I was referencing long time keepers with serious collections (like the person in question).

I wouldn't expect someone with 12 ts to set up and devote an entire room to them. But I think most collectors that have been at it a long time and have a lot, do in fact dedicate a room...albeit, keepers of this ilk are a lot less common....but if we compare a person like this, we should be comparing to others of similar experience and dedication....to compare a person with just a few, to her, or me, or @Chris LXXIX (for example) is like comparing my Mom's driving to that of Mario Andretti....completely illogical.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.