"Deadly Bugs" Documentary? Thoughts

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thoughts on this "documentary" ? At 44:22 is when they start talking about Spiders. Disregarding the fact that Q from star trek is narrating, It honestly seems like they are way over exaggerating the supposed dangerousness of Latrodectus spp.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
To us insects are extremely interesting. To the average crowd, they are pretty boring I’d imagine. Doesn’t surprise me that they would hype things up just to draw in the laymen viewer.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Well, the moment I see a descriptive like 'Deadly' it gets filed as clickbait and sensationalism and I can't be bothered to check it out. Way too many more real sites out there. No offense meant to the OP.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Well, the moment I see a descriptive like 'Deadly' it gets filed as clickbait and sensationalism and I can't be bothered to check it out. Way too many more real sites out there. No offense meant to the OP.
Don’t judge a book by its cover. I watched it and was greatly informed

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Don’t judge a book by its cover. I watched it and was greatly informed
True at least the guy playing with Latrodectus revealed that they're shy and reluctant to bite.

He wasn't as forgiving of Atrax robustus though.

The Snark

Old Timer
True at least the guy playing with Latrodectus revealed that they're shy and reluctant to bite.
That is actually very interesting and highly significant. Black widow reputation is 99% noise about deadly venom and lurking. lying in wait for victims.. The reality - it's main character trait, is shy, leave me alone! and fake death curl as a last resort. Hostile predator isn't even remotely an appropriate description. You can take that two steps further. Most bites aren't medically significant and primary medical treatment is clean the bite site and observe for signs and symptoms. No intervention treatment is initially prescribed.

Last edited:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Thoughts on this "documentary" ? At 44:22 is when they start talking about Spiders. Disregarding the fact that Q from star trek is narrating, It honestly seems like they are way over exaggerating the supposed dangerousness of Latrodectus spp.

That's funny... I'm working on a Star Trek series at the moment :rofl:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That is actually very interesting and highly significant. Black widow reputation is 99% noise about deadly venom and lurking. lying in wait for victims.. The reality - it's main character trait, is shy, leave me alone! and fake death curl as a last resort. Hostile predator isn't even remotely an appropriate description. You can take that two steps further. Most bites aren't medically significant and primary medical treatment is clean the bite site and observe for signs and symptoms. No intervention treatment is initially prescribed.
Agreed. No one has died from an officially recorded bite in decades and most bites don't even require any intervention.

My girl has a friend that just about lost her mind when she found out we have Latrodectus in our place. So my girl proceeded to educate her friend the way I did for her back in the day. Her friend still is afraid of spiders but at least she knows they aren't going to somehow lift off their enclosure lids and lunge at us while sleeping (like the movie Arachnophobia).

The Snark

Old Timer
My girl has a friend that just about lost her mind when she found out we have Latrodectus in our place. So my girl proceeded to educate her friend the way I did for her back in the day. Her friend still is afraid of spiders but at least she knows they aren't going to somehow lift off their enclosure lids and lunge at us while sleeping (like the movie Arachnophobia).
Dances with the enemy gods. People create these horrific monsters and mythical beasts in their mind and allow these thoughts, mostly pure flights of fancy, to run and rule their thinking.