dead sling(s)

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i believe the mystery mold has finally began to take its toll. of the four infected slings, 1 is now definately dead. another is on its back, but it doesnt look good as some legs are curled in. ill give it till morning and check then. this really sucks. my first cb spiderlings are dying. im hoping the one is just molting, but i believe its dead.:8o i hate mold.:mad:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear it. I have lost a few slings in my day, and it always sucks.:(

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
They are very delicate, i dont rate any sort of slings chances of survival very much. Its mostly down to luck.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I have never lost a sling, but i do things the expensive way.

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by King_Looey
I have never lost a sling, but i do things the expensive way.
What do you mean by that? How are you doing it then? :confused:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The expensive way is to not buy spiderlings. Instead you buy adults or juveniles. I have never had a problem with spiderlings though. I like them.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is there some size when slings stop being vulnerable to this type of thing? Is it 1, 1 1/2", 2", 3"?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tranz
Is there some size when slings stop being vulnerable to this type of thing? Is it 1, 1 1/2", 2", 3"?
In my experience, once a sling gets somewhere around 2" mark they generally become invulnerable to the unexplained sling death syndrome (I'll call it SLIDS ;)). They become mini adults in appearance (except for weirdos like Greenbottles and Versicolors that insist on changing colors for the heck of it) and assume adult hardiness.

This is why, while I like slings, I'll go for a 1.5+" sized specimen over a hatchling anyday if the price is reasonable. I may be paying 50% or more over hatchling prices, but I'm also buying insurance that it will live to adulthood.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well the sling on its back has made no progress. they are both dead. the other 2 infected slings are alive, but refused to feed last night. we shall see if they wil molt or die. the remaining 2 still have no sign of mold. my fingers are crossed. this may be my last post for a while, as im moving today. see you when i get on my feet in tenn.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
The expensive way is to buy only the best equipment, and measurement gauges. I have said time and time again on these boards that plastic tubs and stuff are no good.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by King_Looey
The expensive way is to buy only the best equipment, and measurement gauges. I have said time and time again on these boards that plastic tubs and stuff are no good.
What do you mean by plastic tubs:?

Mike

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
A lot of people here dont use glass aquariums. They use large glass jars or plastic "tupperware tubs". I dont rate these too highly.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I raised my female redknee from hatchling size to adult using various types of tupperware containers. She has even bred recently. I haven't ever had any problem with them. All my spiders are in pill vials or tupperware. I really don't like using glass aquariums because they are heavier and are more expensive. They can also crack or break. I don't think what type of housing you use matters, as long as it's setup to meet the spiders requirements. As for humidity, I just adjust it as needed.
Mike

Last edited:

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Personall preference i suppose, but i find plastic containers unsightly. And seeing as spiders are display animals, shouldnt you go all out?

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
><

I agree with King Looey I do things the Expensive Way,No Tupperware for me.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, they are awesome dispaly animals. I like having a nice dispaly tank. I prefer using an all plexi glass tank though. Right now I don't have anything setup for viewing. Everyone has their privacy and right now I am content with seeing them only when I feed out prey or when I pull out molts. I have a nice mpeg clip of a Poecilotheria facsiata setup. She's not with me anymore (she got stuck in a molt and I euthanized her:8o ). I don't have a website to post it on though. I can email it to you if you supply an email address, or anyone who's interested.
Mike: