Dead Sling? Or dead stupid owner?

Daitengu

Arachnopeon
Hey! Could do with some advice please!

So I've got a couple of Ts and I've just had delivered a P. Irminia sling. This is my first sling so not experienced in this part of the hobby and this was my effort (after doing much research) to start. When I opened up the pot and opened the kitchen towel this is what I was presented with. Is this tiny guy/gal dead? In moult? Drunk?

It was well packed (Warm and humid) and fully expected it to shoot out when I moved the kitchen towel. I guess I've found it hard to tell as I don't know what position it started in before I unraveled it. I've put it back in the container along with some moist towel. Can anyone please advise on what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
hmm.. can you post another pic from different angle? It looks like it's molting o_O is it laying on its back with legs in the air?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I see like it is molting but if it is lying on its back, leave it alone for a few hours.. T's tend to die if messed too much with during molts.. just let it be for a few hours.

Daitengu

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the quick reply - it's not on it's back it's on it's side with all of it's legs above it's abdomen/ carapace. Abdomen looks a little twisted. I've not had a T die yet.
Do they all day in the same fashion and go into that "death curl"?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I would guess stuck in molt and died then.. Don't throw it away for a day or so tho.. sometimes they just pull through out of nowhere.. Death curl appears almost everytime, but if the T started molting, it's legs are stiff and cannot curl.. At least that would be my guess. This is probably one of the most unfortunate coincidences.. T began to molt during shipment and disturbances led to it's death.. But, dont give up just yet.. Leave it alone and watch it very closely if you see a twitch or some kind of movement.. After a day or two in the same position, unforunately, will be game over :/ good luck!

Daitengu

Arachnopeon
Then the waiting game begins! I hope it pulls through. I've wanted one of these for ages!
Thanks for the advice - I'll keep you posted.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
please do! Irminias are awesome.. if it twitches, it might just as well pull through!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah that seems to have started molt in transit. I have opened a few vials to see a fresh sling and an old exuviae, but I believe I am fortunate in that respect. From what others have shared its usually bad news when this happens. Leave it be for a day and cross your fingers. Its all you can do.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Do they all day in the same fashion and go into that "death curl"?
I would expect them to, since the death curl is a result of their legs losing hydraulic pressure, which is what keeps a tarantula upright. The only time this should be an exception is if the death happens during a molt. Notice I said "should," these little creatures don't always follow our rules for what they "should" do.

I'm sorry. I do believe there's nothing that can be done for this one. Hopefully the seller offered LAG (live arrival guarantee).

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Doesn't look good... I would contact the seller and keep them informed on whats going on. Not sure if something like this would be covered in a Live Arrival Guarantee.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Definitely molting.

Doesn't look good... I would contact the seller and keep them informed on whats going on. Not sure if something like this would be covered in a Live Arrival Guarantee.
Absolutely do this. Most sellers are very understanding. If you don't contact the seller until a few days later, they have no way of knowing if you're the cause of death or not. If you contact them now, they'll know it was out of anyone's control and likely help you out.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah it looks like it attempted to molt in transit and likely got stuck.

Daitengu

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the tips. Luckily I contacted the seller right away. He gave me a refund for the little suntiger.

In a frustrated and impulsive mood I bought a P. Metallica... well tried anyways. The shop called me after taking my money and confessed they have none left :'( as an apology they've sent me a juvi P. Cambridgei (10 cm) and a P. Ornata sling (4 cm). They're both gorgeous! Very happy with this customer service I must say.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Thanks for all the tips. Luckily I contacted the seller right away. He gave me a refund for the little suntiger.

In a frustrated and impulsive mood I bought a P. Metallica... well tried anyways. The shop called me after taking my money and confessed they have none left :'( as an apology they've sent me a juvi P. Cambridgei (10 cm) and a P. Ornata sling (4 cm). They're both gorgeous! Very happy with this customer service I must say.

You´ll enjoy that P. cambridgei :) I didn´t really plan to get into arboreals, but after reading so many posts here about "Psalmos", I got curious to see what the fuss is all about and got four of them. I haven´t regretted that for a second!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You´ll enjoy that P. cambridgei :) I didn´t really plan to get into arboreals, but after reading so many posts here about "Psalmos", I got curious to see what the fuss is all about and got four of them. I haven´t regretted that for a second!
I love the fact that when you jump into something you buy in bulks :kiss:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I love the fact that when you jump into something you buy in bulks :kiss:
Moderation is not one of my personal traits ;) But when it comes to buying slings, four is the magic number for me. It gives me at least one female and then I sell or trade the males when they get bigger. What I did not take into account with the P. cambridgei is their insane growth rate. I have now rehoused them into bigger enclosures than needed at the moment, so I don´t have to get new ones all the time.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Not molting...never was. The legs would be hanging down, not up. I have had a few die this way and they weren't molting. Rare but still happens.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't think it was molting. This looks like impact damage to me. I had a sling show up that looked about the same way. The shipping box showed signs of drop/impact damage. It too was packed well, but I guess with the jarring impact of the fall (or whatever cause the box damage) the sling didn't make it. Even if it is packed really well if you put enough impact force on it via the box it'll still die.

Contact the seller and they should be able to help you get the issue resolved.