have you ever found a death sling in the water bowl/cup

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 92.6%

• Total voters

smitje

Arachnosquire
Is this the same as calcium sand? I see some red alerts for reptiles when Googling it. But I am not familiar with it nor whether it is okay for a tarantula.
It is calcium sand, small round grain. So far no problems, I just use a handfull and mix it with the peat. Mites touching it dry out very fast. There used to be some concern that calcium could cause molting problems but this doesnt seem to be the case. Comes in several colours, pretty nice if you are trying to make an enclosure look "natural" :)

Dannica

Arachnosquire
Just found my sling in the water dish too floating in the middle. I thought it was dead but it climbed up my tongs and back on the substrate. First for me and had me SCARED! I’m thinking it’s just too small to even have a water dish at this point?
This is a two year old thread, you may get more responses if you post a new one. Also, that sling is small enough it would do fine in a condiment cup for a couple more molts.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Just found my sling in the water dish too floating in the middle. I thought it was dead but it climbed up my tongs and back on the substrate. First for me and had me SCARED! I’m thinking it’s just too small to even have a water dish at this point?
You’re water dish is on the big side it takes up nearly 1/3 of the enclosure plus you’re T is small enough to still be living in a small 25ml vial or condiment cup

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Mine is a little over 1/2" so I use a little green monopoly house for the dish. The enclosure is about 2x2x4" which is too big, but I'm going with it. 20190825_192112.jpg 20190825_194320.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
At this point, I'd be more worried about those big vent holes. Look here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/help-sling-is-stuck.323798/
Please follow the advice you've been given and rehouse your little one into a smaller container (e.g. a 2oz condiment cup) and make the holes with a safety pin or such. Then you can put a tiny water dish in there or just have half of the enclosure moist with a bit of wet sphagnum moss for drinking purposes.

You probably should read this as well (it has a great section on sling care): http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/