Dead or Molting???? Help!!!

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Not sure what to do. I came into work this morning and this is how I found my little girl. I have only had her for two weeks and she appeared to be ready for a molt, but I don’t know for sure. I don’t know if I should touch her to see if she is alive, or totally leave her alone. Should I see movement?? Can someone please give me a little advise? There is no web around her, but again she was new to the enclosure and she never made one. I don't know if that is any indicator or not. Thanks

Attachments

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
thank GOD. How do you guys know this stuff without touching her. She doesn't move. How do you know?? Also if it is a Molt, which I trust you guys it is, how long can she reamin like this. I was reading a thread this morning about another pulchra that only took twenty minutes.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thank GOD. How do you guys know this stuff without touching her. She doesn't move. How do you know??
If she was dead.. Her legs would be curled under neath her body.. Being that she is on her back she is molting.. Most of the time (not all the time) T's flip on her back to molt... If she was dead she wouldnt take the time to flip over...

Plus.. A little research can teach you this very basic info....

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Jonny, They will typically flip and just lay there for a while. Could be minutes, could be hours... I'm sure they are doing something internally to prep for the physical shedding and they will lay there lifeless. Once the actual molt begins, you will see some movement as the legs flex and twitch. Stick around... Many people with only a few T's rarely get to see this phenomenon.

:)

Now, when they are done... Don't get excited and feed after it flips back. Don't get excited if the spider lays on it's back for a few hours curled up. Don't get excited and poke at it. Don't get excited and try take the molt out right away.

Just leave it alone and make sure the water dish is full. Lots of times, the spider will get mobile and go for the waterdish when it is safe to move as they will be dehydrated.

I don't feed my adults for 2 weeks after a molt. Let the fangs harden fully!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Yes your T is molting. Keep us updated on how its coming along. Did you have a water dish in there for her already? +1 on the not feeding for a week. at least. I would wait 2 weeks for genus grammostola. They are slow growers and will fast for long periods before and after molting.

Alot of things have to harden up before its ready to eat. Fangs, stomach lining, esophagus (throat), females reproductive organs, New lungs. Its one of the most stressful things a T HAS under go. Keep a full clean water dish in the enclosure at all times. Enjoy and take pictures. You're lucky youve got to witness the first molt of your first T. Great beginner T also!! welcome to the hobby (addiction).. ;P

P.S. Buy "The Tarantula Keepers Guide (revised edition 2009)" It will benefit you very much.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
It is done

I have a new T. She is beautiful. She went from being brown to black. I am such a happy Daddy. She is resting now on her back as expected. I will leave her be for a few weeks. Thank you guys for all your patience with the new guys like me.

Attachments

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please...Please :)
Dont take this the wrong way.

Asking about something as basic as tarantula molting, and on top of that reffering to it as "How do you guys know this stuff without touching her"...
It says, in genreal, quite a lot about you.

You didnt even bother to GOOGLE "Tarantula keeping", "Tarantula care"............"Tarantula upside down in my terrarium".......????????????????

I mean come on...You need to do a bit of work on your own before going through life asking the first question that crosses you mind. It wont help you at all if you dont put a bit of interest to find things on your own. :eek:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not being funny Fran but too many noobs get flamed too easily these days, we should lay of these guys from time to time ehh?

I only have gripes with those who think they know better TBH

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not being funny Fran but too many noobs get flamed too easily these days, we should lay of these guys from time to time ehh?

I only have gripes with those whop think they know better TBH

God knows I dont jump on the neck but try to help always...
but sometimes I cant help it.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I only have gripes with those who think they know better TBH

I have to agree with Fran.. Its to often people say "OMG my T is on its back.. Is it dead or dying?" I mean come on.. If someone did just a little research on the animal they are so worried about they would know that the critter is OK & that its molting..

This is BASIC information.. Its something anyone that owns a T SHOULD know without having to ask..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I catch your drift dude, but I go by post count and experience :)
Oh.. Also.. Post count is a bad way to judge someones experiance.. I can name one member here that has a butt load more post than yourself.. I think he is at 350+ post vs your 70 posts.. Yet you seem to have more knowledge than him..

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh.. Also.. Post count is a bad way to judge someones experiance.. I can name one member here that has a butt load more post than yourself.. I think he is at 350+ post vs your 70 posts.. Yet you seem to have more knowledge than him..
:) no worries, just sometimes the odd newbie may need help :)