dead or alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my Pterinochilus murinus is acting wierd i cant tell if he dead or alive...he is in the death curl but i gently shake the critter keeper and blow on him to see if he is alive (because im not putting my hand in there lol) and he makes threating postures (as he should) then he goes back to the death pose..

so is he dead?....or alive?..whats going on :? :? :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont want to sound mean but it sounds alive, I dont think things can give you threat poses and move it were dead.......

Does that T have access to water?, when is the last time it ate? When is the last time it molted?
This species tends to slow down quite a bit when in premolt especially in the days just before.
I need those questions answered first before I can be of more assistance.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got it yesterday from botar..

so its should've been very healthy yes it does have water access in the CK.

i dunno when it ate last cause i only got it yesterday

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
give it a few days to settle in.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like classic shipping stress...... just wait it out. The T needs to re acclimate to its new home and enviroment.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my Pterinochilus murinus is acting wierd i cant tell if he dead or alive...he is in the death curl but i gently shake the critter keeper and blow on him to see if he is alive (because im not putting my hand in there lol) and he makes threating postures (as he should) then he goes back to the death pose..

He/she is gonna wish they were dead if you keep blowing on it and annoying it. Is it on dry substrate?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He/she is gonna wish they were dead if you keep blowing on it and annoying it. Is it on dry substrate?
Oh i stopped a while ago i only did it twice...

its on very dry substrate with some a water dish and I'm leaving it alone for at least two days....

its gonna be hard because i love all 10+ Tarantulas that i have so I'm worried but i'll leave him alone. :( :(

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How does its abdomen look? Are there any obvious ruptures or scabs?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good news, since i told yall i was gonna leave him alone which I have been doing up to now, he's doing well no longer on the substrate he's actually really close to the lid of the CK. so he's doing really well and I'm not as worried as I was before. .. so thanks again EVERYONE for all of your comments, thoughts, and opinions.

I'm not going to throw the tank away but I am going to give it an extreme cleaning of bleach and hot water with a ratio of 1:10 of course.

and a friend of mine named JEEP

(he makes custom made tanks with great dividers, if you guys want to keep three T's and one tank with good dividers JEEP is the person you need to talk to, he does excellect work. I keep three T's in one 10 gallon tank with two dividers. I keep a Phormictopus cancerides on the left side, a P. Regalis in the middle, and a A. Vesicolor on the right. None of them have ever escaped *they are lockable* and none of them have ever gotten into the enclosure next to it they are perfect)

Is making me another 10 gallon tank with one divider and I'm going to keep my Pterinochilus murinus one side and another Pterinochilus murinus on the other side (unless I buy something else maybe a Kilimanjaro mustard (Pterinochilus chordatus) or Dodoma Baboon (Pterinochilus lugardi)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have even more good news...This morning I went in there and he had constructed a web in the top corner of the critter keeper so he is doing REAL well...Again thanks everyone.:razz: :D :razz:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I just have to ask this, do you know the difference between death and life? If something is reacting to it's environment, its generally alive. The complete absence of movement and reaction to outside stimulus would indicate death.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just have to ask this, do you know the difference between death and life? If something is reacting to it's environment, its generally alive. The complete absence of movement and reaction to outside stimulus would indicate death.
yea but with some animals when they feel as if they are going to die they get real defensive when trying to protect their self..'

like dogs for instance when they are hurt really bad and close to dying some snap even bite people really badly because the dog doesnt realize at first that people are trying to help him not hurt him.

and please dont say obvious stuff like " dogs and tarantulas are too different animal species" because this is quit clear... i was just using the dog example as one because people who know dogs know this is how they act some times when hurt or close to death.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience, tarantulas that are on the verge of death will put up almost no defense, they'll just try to struggle away at most. I had a mystery plague a few years ago that killed off 90% of my collection in a matter of weeks and the spiders that I tried to save didn't so much as raise a fang as I was moving them to ICU containers and trying to get fluids into them; and I keep mostly African ts, so nowadays I would guess that a t that could still throw a threat display was just stressed and needed some quiet.

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Be wary of the advice people give you here. Sometimes the difference between life and death isn't as clear as some people might think.

For example, not too long ago there was a case in Florida where a dead Burmese python was found with its stomach burst open after having consumed an alligator and one of the theories of its cause was that the postmortem reflexes of the alligator had caused the leg to move, tearing open the snake's belly.

This is just one example but this living-dead issue has been reported numerous times throughout history most famously by Bram Stoker and more recently by George Romero, and Robert Rodriguez.

In your case, to know for sure i would suggest that while on its back that you take your index finger and gently caress the area i've illustrated in the following diagram.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Duc de Blangis;859894]Be wary of the advice people give you here. Sometimes the difference between life and death isn't as clear as some people might think.

Ill keep this in mind when you decide to ask a question about something you dont have a clue about,
That might be the single most ignorant comment I have seen on here in a long long time.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
but the pic did make me laugh.i looked at it before i read the post. but i agree. ignorant.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea but with some animals when they feel as if they are going to die they get real defensive when trying to protect their self..'

like dogs for instance when they are hurt really bad and close to dying some snap even bite people really badly because the dog doesnt realize at first that people are trying to help him not hurt him.

and please dont say obvious stuff like " dogs and tarantulas are too different animal species" because this is quit clear... i was just using the dog example as one because people who know dogs know this is how they act some times when hurt or close to death.
You asked if it was dead, not going to die. There is a distinct difference as well between on your way out and post mortal as well.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You asked if it was dead, not going to die. There is a distinct difference as well between on your way out and post mortal as well.
obviously if I'm not sure if its dead or not I'll want to know if its going to die. if its still alive but may have been going back into the death curl then at that point I want to know if its dying....You are basically splitting hairs and making a question more complicated than it has to be...

However, Since my T is doing really well now (so well he webbed up the water dish) you no longer have to complicate a question..

thanks to anyone else who actually gave me opinions and all that, that helped.

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ill keep this in mind when you decide to ask a question about something you dont have a clue about,
That might be the single most ignorant comment I have seen on here in a long long time.
Surely it can't be only me that recognises a very humourous and witty post?
{D

Status
Not open for further replies.