Dead mm h mac

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got back from a vacation to Peurto Rico to find my unmated mm h Mac dead. It had eaten recently and has only been mature for a month. What a disapointment. I hadn't even mated him yet. Anyway what could have caused this. His abdomen doesn't look shrivled so not starvation or dehydration. No leaking fluid so not that. Only possible thing I can think of is mold.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Did it have water available to drink? Im sorry thats a downer. At least it wasnt your female.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did it have water available to drink? Im sorry thats a downer. At least it wasnt your female.
No it had no water bowl because I had him in a tuperware container so I could see the sperm web. But like I said his abdomen didn't look shriveled at all.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
How long did he go without a drink you think? Was there any moisture or substrate in the tupperware? So it just died limp? No death curl? :? Did it have a hide? What did you feed it last? How much air flow/ventalation in the cage? What is the temp and humidity? Could the feeders of been contaminated? Did you wash your hands? ect.. Lots of variables to consider.. Any other deaths or odd things with the other Ts? Its a good time to go through your collection for potential symptoms. Isolate the cage and the spider that died. Best of luck with the rest. :) -D

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could have been a water/moisture issue(as in not enough)...i find MM's to be more "thirsty" than females, maybe due to considerably smaller abdomens that dont retain the moisture/fluids to stay hydrated on their own....I find that all of my MM's drink like crazy!....and even a couple days of no water can make them lathargic, but once they get a drink, its like they are fresh again!

Sorry to hear tho, hope you find another!

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got back from a vacation to Peurto Rico to find my unmated mm h Mac dead. It had eaten recently and has only been mature for a month. What a disapointment. I hadn't even mated him yet. Anyway what could have caused this. His abdomen doesn't look shrivled so not starvation or dehydration. No leaking fluid so not that. Only possible thing I can think of is mold.
Ouch sorry to read that, especially only a month into being MM. Like others stated it could be many reasons. There could of been an underlying issue related to his molt that's not necessarily noticed externally, could of been a heating issue while you were away, so many possibilities. Definitely a disappointment, especially when you wanted to mate him.

Keep us posted if you find out anything, like to know why he expired so early.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could have been a water/moisture issue(as in not enough)...i find MM's to be more "thirsty" than females, maybe due to considerably smaller abdomens that dont retain the moisture/fluids to stay hydrated on their own....I find that all of my MM's drink like crazy!....and even a couple days of no water can make them lathargic, but once they get a drink, its like they are fresh again!

Sorry to hear tho, hope you find another!
I will second this post. I noticed that when our MM was looking lethargic, an up in humidity and a wet patch to drink from fixed him right up. The water dish would go empty far more often than normal as well.

Sorry to hear that you lost your T. Definitely not a good homecoming. :(

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Moderator's Note

I did a bit of a cleanup. No more off-topic and/or pointless posts please.