Dead Millipede

Simandoalover

Arachnopeon
I’m relatively new to myriapods and I have had 2 for about a year, when I got them they were both still small and now they are getting close to full grown. Recently I went on a trip and came back 3 days later to one dead (a Florida Ivory) and the other alive (Smokey Oak). Does anyone have any ideas about what killed her? They are in the same habitat so if it is something that will eventually Killy my Smokey oak, I would love to know. I listed the soil before I left and it was still damp when I came back but it was never soaking wet. The only food I added was a piece of carrot that was organic and I give it to them every other week. There care has stayed the same since I got them. If anyone knows what happened, please tell me. Also I added an image of my dead millipede if that helps!

Attachments

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
She looks pretty big in the photo, but do you have her measurements?
Also, was their temperature controlled for?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with all of the above. We need more info. A picture of your tank, what your substrate is, temperature, size of the millipede, food provided, any other particulars, etc. is needed before we can start guessing what caused the death.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Simandoalover

Arachnopeon
Temperature: My room is always at 75 degrees

Substrate: “Millipede Substrate” from bugs in cyber space (my friend got me it as a gift) and it’s about 2 1/2 inches deep.

Food provided: I mostly give them organic carrots and lettuce, I feed them stuff like that every week

My enclosure is an extra large kritter Keeper (5.90 GAlarge. Size: 15 3/4-inch large by 9 3/8-inch width by 12 1/2-inch height)

Inhabitants in the tank: 1 Smokey oak, Dwarf Purple Isopods and Springtails

My dead millipede is 2 1/4 inches long

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
A long time ago I had a couple millipedes and I loved them so much because they just seemed so cute and innocent to me. They both ended up passing after a month which made me really sad and I never found out why they kicked. This was about 10 years ago and I have not had any since. I dont remember feeding anything organic, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I will stick around and keep an eye on this thread to see if I can learn any info myself.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I think we have our problem. So there was no rotting leaves/rotting wood provided for them? If not, then that is likely the killer, and you should provide quite a bit of both quickly for the Smokey Oak in order for it to survive. Where in the tank did you find the dead millipede by the way?

A long time ago I had a couple millipedes and I loved them so much because they just seemed so cute and innocent to me. They both ended up passing after a month which made me really sad and I never found out why they kicked. This was about 10 years ago and I have not had any since. I dont remember feeding anything organic, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I will stick around and keep an eye on this thread to see if I can learn any info myself.
What was your setup, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Simandoalover

Arachnopeon
I had mixed dried leaves throughout the soil (I forgot to mention that) they are oak and maple leaves

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
I think we have our problem. So there was no rotting leaves/rotting wood provided for them? If not, then that is likely the killer, and you should provide quite a bit of both quickly for the Smokey Oak in order for it to survive. Where in the tank did you find the dead millipede by the way?

What was your setup, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
This was a long time ago but it had the following..... cocofiber for substrate, mesh membrane then rocks on bottom for drainage, a couple vivarium plants, lighting and hides with bark / some rotting leaves but not much. I used to put fruit and lettuce in the tank for the millipedes. Just one day they both were dead. It was so sad!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I had mixed dried leaves throughout the soil (I forgot to mention that) they are oak and maple leaves
So there was no rotting wood in the tank? Both Smokey Oaks and Ivories are in the group of millipedes known as spirobolids; they need large quantities of quality rotting wood (the white rotting wood is the best) in order to survive and thrive. I'm thinking that is probably why it died.

This was a long time ago but it had the following..... cocofiber for substrate, mesh membrane then rocks on bottom for drainage, a couple vivarium plants, lighting and hides with bark / some rotting leaves but not much. I used to put fruit and lettuce in the tank for the millipedes. Just one day they both were dead. It was so sad!
Also, no rotting wood? Rotting leaves and wood is the most important part of millipede keeping from my experience.
If you ever heard the phrase "Man shall not live by bread alone", then you can translate that for millipedes: "Millipedes shall not live by veggies alone, but by every piece of rotting vegetation."
What species did you have by the way?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Well, I don't know, I successfully kept a bunch of millipedes for 6 months in just bugsincyberspace's substrate with leaves added. Albeit in much deeper substrate, but I don't think 2 millipedes should deplete the nutrients so quickly, then again, maybe the isopods helped.

@Simandoalover Since everything you mentioned seems fine, I'm inclined to agree with @Arthroverts, maybe the nutrients in the substrate got depleted and she ran out of energy.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
It's useful to place leaves and wood on the surface as well. The millipedes will eat those, and when they're gone, you know it's time to add more. When the leaves and wood are all crunched up in the substrate, it can be harder to judge when they run out.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
So there was no rotting wood in the tank? Both Smokey Oaks and Ivories are in the group of millipedes known as spirobolids; they need large quantities of quality rotting wood (the white rotting wood is the best) in order to survive and thrive. I'm thinking that is probably why it died.

Also, no rotting wood? Rotting leaves and wood is the most important part of millipede keeping from my experience.
If you ever heard the phrase "Man shall not live by bread alone", then you can translate that for millipedes: "Millipedes shall not live by veggies alone, but by every piece of rotting vegetation."

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks for your response. That is exactly what must've went wrong for me! I had Zero rotting wood. I would only put lettuce , carots and some fruit in there. This is why mine may have passed. I feel like I should have known this 10 years ago when it happened, unless the husbandry was not out there like it is today or I was just dumb. Looking forward to trying it again.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Well, I don't know, I successfully kept a bunch of millipedes for 6 months in just bugsincyberspace's substrate with leaves added. Albeit in much deeper substrate, but I don't think 2 millipedes should deplete the nutrients so quickly, then again, maybe the isopods helped.

@Simandoalover Since everything you mentioned seems fine, I'm inclined to agree with @Arthroverts, maybe the nutrients in the substrate got depleted and she ran out of energy.
Millipedes are very hardy in a wide variety of conditions, so they may have survived, but they didn't thrive likely.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mossloft

Arachnosquire

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I was planning on getting Millipede Substrate from bugsincyberspace for my O. Ornatus. Will rotting oak wood and dried, presumably rotting oak leaves be enough to sate their wood munchies? Ive also got fish food and plan to find some other stuff. I only have one milli, if that changes anything.