Dead feeder molding inside burrow, leave it or remove it?

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
My A. Genic molted somewhat recently and when I offered her first post-molt meal, she struck it a few times but seemed to be treating it more like a threat than a meal (it may be that the roach was slightly larger than she was comfortable with, since I had to really dig in the breeder bin to find a small enough but not tiny one lol). I had already crushed the dubia's head so it wouldn't dig down, but it fell down into the burrow and seems to have been ignored entirely since then.

The burrow is in the bottom corner of the enclosure and she cleared the substrate away from the sides, so I can see inside and it's finally just covered in mold today. I know mold isn't really a major concern, and her substrate isn't kept wet enough to maintain excessive growth, so will it be fine to leave the dead feeder until it's been decayed by the mold? To remove it, I would actually need to dig out her burrow because the entrance makes a turn against the wall so I can't* just push forceps in and take it. I had been hoping she would just clean house and bring it out of there herself lol...

*Edit for typo

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Flip a coin

I never leave dead anything in with my pets- invites pests

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
Flip a coin

I never leave dead anything in with my pets- invites pests
That's my main concern but just wanted to get others opinions. I think the stress of messing up her burrow is probably outweighed by the risk of a dead moldy roach anyways... I'll go ahead and try to dig it out :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's my main concern but just wanted to get others opinions. I think the stress of messing up her burrow is probably outweighed by the risk of a dead moldy roach anyways... I'll go ahead and try to dig it out :)
molt date?

burrow destroyed isn’t that stressful- as in they won’t die

A lot of people think the slightest disturbance is stress- it isn’t

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
molt date?

burrow destroyed isn’t that stressful- as in they won’t die

A lot of people think the slightest disturbance is stress- it isn’t
That's good to know!! I know messing up the webbing isn't a big deal, but had been incorrectly assuming the burrows were a bit more important for some reason.

Molt was finished on May 26th I believe (trying to find my notebook where I write things down). Her fangs turned black again about 3 days ago and I offered the feeder 2 nights ago. Do you think I should have waited longer before offering food?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That's good to know!! I know messing up the webbing isn't a big deal, but had been incorrectly assuming the burrows were a bit more important for some reason.

Molt was finished on May 26th I believe (trying to find my notebook where I write things down). Her fangs turned black again about 3 days ago and I offered the feeder 2 nights ago. Do you think I should have waited longer before offering food?
how big of a spider ? Adults I wait a month to feed so long as fangs are black you’re fine. Although the moldy dead roach might be an issue I’ve redone enclosures recently just over a bit of mold . Last thing I want is mold ..

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
how big of a spider ? Adults I wait a month to feed so long as fangs are black you’re fine. Although the moldy dead roach might be an issue I’ve redone enclosures recently just over a bit of mold . Last thing I want is mold ..
She's right about 2.5 inches DLS now!

I was able to coax her into a catch cup and dig the dead roach out, with surprisingly minimal damage to the burrow (thanks to a lack of my usual kinetic hand tremors that enjoy kicking in when I'm trying my hardest to hold them still 😅). So no more moldy bugs in her bedroom!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
She's right about 2.5 inches DLS now!

I was able to coax her into a catch cup and dig the dead roach out, with surprisingly minimal damage to the burrow (thanks to a lack of my usual kinetic hand tremors that enjoy kicking in when I'm trying my hardest to hold them still 😅). So no more moldy bugs in her bedroom!
Nice , I got to hunt down superworms in a 10 gal tank half full of substrate.. that’s going to be fun . And I got another spider I want to upgrade tanks 5-10gal , suspect a few supers might be in that tank too. I need an a genic eventually, my last one was male. My a Brock I lost to a bad molt .

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
Nice , I got to hunt down superworms in a 10 gal tank half full of substrate.. that’s going to be fun . And I got another spider I want to upgrade tanks 5-10gal , suspect a few supers might be in that tank too. I need an a genic eventually, my last one was male. My a Brock I lost to a bad molt .
I started squishing the heads pretty quickly after realizing how unappealing dubia's are as a feeder... boring prey that plays dead for what seems like days at a time, only to disappear one day... Making the human wonder, "Did you finally eat it?" But alas, it just decided to dig and hide when the T wasn't paying attention.

But I noticed if I only partially maim the dubias head, they act more frantic while still being unable to dig very well, which is more exciting for two of my T's that are not easily impressed with their food lol. It sounds kind of awful but I just remind myself they probably experience similar "pain/discomfort" when those fangs are in them and venom doing its thing.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I started squishing the heads pretty quickly after realizing how unappealing dubia's are as a feeder... boring prey that plays dead for what seems like days at a time, only to disappear one day... Making the human wonder, "Did you finally eat it?" But alas, it just decided to dig and hide when the T wasn't paying attention.

But I noticed if I only partially maim the dubias head, they act more frantic while still being unable to dig very well, which is more exciting for two of my T's that are not easily impressed with their food lol. It sounds kind of awful but I just remind myself they probably experience similar "pain/discomfort" when those fangs are in them and venom doing its thing.
Yeah I got orange roaches to see if they elicit a better feeding response; unfortunately I’m a year or so away from having enough to feed my Ts . I expected 100 only got around 30-50 , … wish ida had a bigger order .
I’ll prob just buy more dubia , they don’t take as long to be-established.
superworms I’m not sure how to maim them with the giant tweezer? Most my spiders will jump on them but a few wont. If I put them in a dry (empty )water dish they eventually eat them if they find it ofc.
I used to have to kill/ or mame some dubia certain Ts as slings wouldn’t eat them they would burrow away.

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
Yeah I got orange roaches to see if they elicit a better feeding response; unfortunately I’m a year or so away from having enough to feed my Ts . I expected 100 only got around 30-50 , … wish ida had a bigger order .
I’ll prob just buy more dubia , they don’t take as long to be-established.
superworms I’m not sure how to maim them with the giant tweezer? Most my spiders will jump on them but a few wont.
You could try crushing their heads as well, I think I've read a few times that some keepers do that and it helps to prevent them from digging... Not sure if they are still very wiggly after that, though. I haven't used superworms yet for my T's.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You could try crushing their heads as well, I think I've read a few times that some keepers do that and it helps to prevent them from digging... Not sure if they are still very wiggly after that, though. I haven't used superworms yet for my T's.
Yeah I’m afraid I’ll just kill it trying to crush the heads of supers, not all of my spiders would eat (freshly) dead ones but some will. I wish I had some roaches that bred fast room temperature then I could keep them in my basement. No outlet beside my t rack .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Go by fang color is all you can do.
Each T is different