Dead Cyanognathus

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last night I was removing prey from my slings' containers and discovered my Ephebopus cyanognathus was molting. Two hours later I checked on it again and it didn't seem to have made much progress and the substrate was pretty dry so I added some water to its deli cup and the water flooded around the edges a bit but it was nowhere near touching the sling and it was receding pretty quickly so I replaced the lid and put the spider back. This morning I looked in and no more progress had been made. I was upset until I noticed, behind a ridge of silk around the side of the cup, the fully molted spider. I was really happy and surprised until I discovered it was curled up. I poked it gently a few times and got no response. It was sitting right where the water pooled up in the cup last night. I left it, just in case it was simply weak from the molt, but I just checked on it and it is definitely dead. I think perhaps I drowned it, but it really sucks because it had been doing very well and was fast becoming one of my favorites.

Adrian

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

damn man i'm sorry to hear that, those are not cheap spiders either--Jeff

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nothing to say except I'm sorry mate.
Are you planning on getting another one?

How did you find the care for this species? (is this the only you have / How long did you have it?)

They look like a great addition! Again, sorry for the T-death...
peace
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
that's truly a terrible loss, i'm so sorry.

i've read countless stories of how slings were drowned in tiny droplets of water, such a tragedy.

i have just been letting droplets slide down my finger directly into their soil, i'm too paranoid about misting. they seem to be doing okay. perhaps you could try that next time.

again, my sincere condolences. (hug) :(