Day old chicks

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Everyone seems to have read “somewhere” that mice (calcium) are bad for T’s and they cause bad molts. I very much doubt that. Not that I condone feeding verts there is no need for it..
Actually what i hear and have seen is some circumstational evidence that it MAY be A factor in bad molts for some species that are already prone to bad molts such as T blondi.

But

I have a CB (now gravid) 6” G. rosea bought on 10-1-99 as a spiderling. She was fed nothing but pinkies and mice once a month her entire life until I received her last year. She’s very healthy, no cracking of her exo constantly busy building burrows….. Point is she has no ill affects that I can see..
Great one specimin that had no ill effects. Well My grandmother smokes heavily from the time she was 10 till she died at 89 and had no tobacco related illnesses si i guess we shoudl all start our kids at 10 smoking lucky strikes so they will live to 89? Ever wonder why they use many test subjects and a control group to study things like this? Also dont expect any decent scientific studies on diets in T's because no one cares enough to fund such a study. No money to be made determining the effects of igh calcium diets on Ts
I stand strong that there is no need to feed verts though...
I wholeheartedly agree

The breeders that are very deep in to this hobby and make it their life’s work do experiment and test different food but I believe they have a reason and are experienced enough to see the positives and negative. Not every “wanna-be” who just thinks it’ll be fun to try. .
I doubt you will find them risking thier stock in such a pointless endeavor.

Actually if you call some of the big boys (whom been around for centuries lol) will tell you there is no need for verts even for a breeding female.

UMMM by centuries you really mean years right? mean the hobby is still young and most of the Ts in the hobby for any length of time are WC any way ....

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually what i hear and have seen is some circumstational evidence that it MAY be A factor in bad molts for some species that are already prone to bad molts such as T blondi.
T. blondis have bad molts everyone knows that. But I have never seen it linked to feeding verts. Tons of non vert eating blondis have bad molts. I find that people hear something and assume it to be the case when there is nothing to back it up. If I say I heard that an uncle of my best friends cousin has a white T in two months everyone will be talking of the newly found white T…. that they heard existed.

Great one specimin that had no ill effects. Well My grandmother smokes heavily from the time she was 10 till she died at 89 and had no tobacco related illnesses si i guess we shoudl all start our kids at 10 smoking lucky strikes so they will live to 89? Ever wonder why they use many test subjects and a control group to study things like this? Also dont expect any decent scientific studies on diets in T's because no one cares enough to fund such a study. No money to be made determining the effects of igh calcium diets on Ts
Fair however I make my decisions off of my experiences. Show me a T that has a cracked exo and flawed fangs that was only fed a vert diet and I’ll consider it. I have not seen anything pertaining to it at all. I understand the possibility does exist but thats only because everyone keeps talking about it. (I will confess that I really do not have much research time anymore so there could be something out there…if you know of something post the link :) )

I doubt you will find them risking thier stock in such a pointless endeavor.
Not the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that breeders do have a reason to feed what ever they choose for their own curiosity and end results of size of sacks and so on. I will not give them a hard time because of doing so.

UMMM by centuries you really mean years right? mean the hobby is still young and most of the Ts in the hobby for any length of time are WC any way ....
I was going to say since the dinosaurs roamed the earth as a crack at some of the ummmm more seasoned breeders :D

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everyone seems to have read “somewhere” that mice (calcium) are bad for T’s and they cause bad molts. I very much doubt that. Not that I condone feeding verts there is no need for it.
The theory on this is that calcium compounds replace stonger magnesium compounds in the fangs which may cause them to break off during a moult.

Could vary by individual, but many experiments would have to be done with many different species to prove this. Expensive, time consuming and generally not worth the time to fully research.

On topic...don't feed vertebrate prey. The only reason to feed vertebrates would be to fatten up a spider you're expecting a sack from. Even then, a small pinkie would suffice. There's no reason to feed day old chicks, or full grown mice to a spider.

Ever.