Davus fasciatus mature male

A freshly mature male Davus fasciatus

Last edited:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Hi Eric

Nice photos! Beautiful lil' bugger.

BTW, "Davus" is a junior synonym of Cyclosternum and is not valid. With correct gender declination it is: C. fasciatum. This has been the case since Valerio, 1982. Peters' books have it wrong.

Cheers,

Michael

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Michael, via a few other threads here recently, I'm under the impression that Schmidt recently restored Davus.
There is talk of this subject HERE and HERE .
Cyclosternum is still Cyclosternum of course.

Others can comment more, but I thought this was the case. I haven't seen it, not sure if he has it as D. fasciatum or D. fasciatus ??

This appears to be the work:
Schmidt G. 2005, Die Gattung Davus O.P.-Cambridge, 1892 (Arachnida : Araneae : Theraphosidae : Theraphosinae). Tarantulas of the World. Ausgabe 104, April 2005 : 7-18.

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
D.fasciatus is now the name it's gone back to fasciatus as Davus is masculine gendered Smalltime was right ;) (thank's to Richard G for explaining that to me) also see >Here<.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Fry, I figured it should be fasciatus!

I heard there was more to this than just the fused vs. unfused spermethecae??

Last edited:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I knew I should have kept my fingers shut. I try to stay out of taxonomy issues.

I was unaware of that publication, but then many theraphosid taxonomists consider Schmidt's work questionable at best (and not peer-reviewed). Did he examine all the type material ;P That's a rhetorical question, btw.

But Platnick accepts his changes so... I'm sure the next version of WSC will have that change.

Breeder/dealer, NOT taxomist, Michael

Last edited:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
BTW, does anybody know exactly how or where to obtain this "Tarantulas of the World"?

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome picture ;)
In fact, the picture catapults the T near to the top of my wish list ;)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
manville said:
enough of all these taxonomy...it is a very nice tarantula!
Agreed, but since I already opened by big fat fingers I'll throw another wrench in it...

Looking at the spermathecae photos on the other threads was interesting. Especially since there are those of us who think it is more likely that what we call fasciatum is really Cyclosternum pentalore. To the best of my knowledge, D. fasciatus/C. fasciatum is found only in Costa Rica. These "tiger rumps" are still imported and Costa Rica does not allow export. So either our spiders are smuggled out of CR and exported, or they are exported out of Guatemala, where tarantulas are shipped from and therefore is more like C. pentalore.

Here's a photo I took of the imported species' (call it what you want) spermathecae:

Finished now, Michael

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha, yes that's interesting Michael. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are even fasciatum/pentalore crosses in the hobby to further wrench things up as well.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
That’s an interesting pic indeed Michael “ Pet Trade ” D.fasciatus that we all keep and breed are no doubt mixed if not a mix species then a mix of regional races, spiders that looked like D.fasciatus but were iirc slightly lighter in colour were imported from i believe Mexico? (drink addled mind) in the early 90’s too (I can still remember trying to get a few these "light" one's myself) but you know what most ppl were like back then (and sometimes are still now) Ray G thinks a mixing may have taken place at some point and I agree with him.

But seeing that pic makes me think if these new imports in the early 90's were indeed from Mexico (or northern CA at least) then captive stock could well be a D.fasciatus D.pentalore mix, but it would take looking at a huge number of both captive examples of both species and 100% species confirmed wild stock to see if this was not a natural variation found in at least one of them (the spermathecae is not to stable in some species).

But there still a fine wine even if they are “blended” :D.

Attachments

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
I forgot to add the Guatemala one's are just sold as D.sp "Guatemala" or "West Guatemala" over here but im sure they have been traded as D.fasciatus here too :(.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Seeing as it has been redescribed and I can't find a picture thread here I thought I would make a new thread.

Heres my 0.1 Davus fasciatus
IMG_0343.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0341.JPG