Davus Pentaloris

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
So Fear Not has 1/4 inch slings for sale. Obviously a stunning looking species. Anyone have a lot of experience with this species from a small sling on up? Curious about growth rate, enclosure setup, behavior,and how well they display. Didn't find out too much about this species. Anyone with experience and information would be greatly appreciated.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have an adult female. Fairly fast growth rate. Care of spiderlings is pretty much the same as all of them - substrate a bit damp, feed pre-killed crickets or meal worm chunks, keep at room temperature. Setup of enclosures was exactly like all of my other terrestrial species - substrate, water dish, and a hide at room temperature.
This is an extremely fast species and is skittish all throughout their lives. If you do not include a hide, you risk them bolting right out of their enclosure. I have heard of several people losing theirs.
My girl will use her hide when I disturb her enclosure, but is otherwise usually out and about when I check on her. She has a voracious appetite and only fasts directly before moulting. She has never kicked hair at me, but she went right into threat posture and slapping the one time I tried to manipulate her with a brush. I love my girl, but I don't mess with her... ever.
And yes, they are stunning...

Last edited:

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
I have an adult female. Fairly fast growth rate. Care of spiderlings is pretty much the same as all of them - substrate a bit damp, feed pre-killed crickets or meal worm chunks, keep at room temperature. Setup of enclosures was exactly like all of my other terrestrial species - substrate, water dish, and a hide at room temperature.
This is an extremely fast species and is skittish all throughout their lives. If you do not have a hide, you risk them bolting right out of their enclosure. I have heard of several people losing theirs.
My girl will use her hide when I disturb her enclosure, but is otherwise usually out and about when I check on her. She has a voracious appetite and only fasts directly before moulting. She has never kicked hair at me, but she went right into threat posture and slapping the one time I tried to manipulate her with a brush. I love my girl, but I don't mess with her... ever.
And yes, they are stunning...
Wow. Great images! Thanks so much for the detailed response! Very informative for me!

I am either getting a gbb and pentaloris , or a geniculata and pulchripes. I hate making decisions!

Witch Doctor

Arachnopeon
I don’t have any recent pictures or stories but I have a few from about 20 years ago when I just got into the hobby.

The first story is from a female that I got at about that size from a local dealer at a reptile swap in about 2000. She was one of the easiest t’s I’ve taken care of. She grew fast and was in her burrow most of the time. They need a damp substrate to be comfortable and molt properly, I let it dry out one time and she had a rough molt but I dropped water on her mouth and she pulled through.

Nevertheless, she was and escape artist and when I had her in the biology department in high school and put her in a make shift enclosure from a large cranberry juice bottle, she managed to not only escape but cross a very busy hallway (I got a call from the main office over the school intercom about how they found my “spider“ in a recycling bin and I needed to go to the room in question and collect her). I got her and put her back in her enclosure.

That wasn’t the end, I built a new enclosure from a 2.5 gallon tank and took her home... She got out again in my basement later that year and when my dad was moving a box of junk he said, “hey look at this spider, it’s really interesting”, I said, “oh, I’ve been looking for her”, he then angrily said, “god damnit Austin, you better not let your mother find out!”

Fast forward a few years later and I was in college and living in Lake Ozark, MO for the summer. She got out again and I didn’t even know she had, I got a phone call from my grandparents that my grandma had fallen and I needed to get there ASAP. So I threw on my shoes and headed over, about 30 min away. Took off my shoes when I got there and didn't think about it. After my grandma was back in bed and everything was fine I went to put my shoes back on and felt something in my right shoe. Needless to say I took it off and shook it, guess what fell out on my face and scared the shit out of me, it was her, Cyclosternum Fasciatum (Davus pentaloris). She was in there for a good 30+ min on my way to my grandparents and didn’t bite me, and she had every reason to. God damn do I miss that T.

She lived for another 2 years after that and I made sure she had a secure enclosure so she never got out again. I will admit that most of her getting out was my fault for not paying full attention while opening her enclosure but she is still one of my favorite T’s that I’ve ever had and I still think that species is a must have in your collection...

tl;dr Had one about 20 years ago, great T, escape artist, loved humidity, rarely came out when young, very docile, and rode around in my shoe for 30 min and didn’t bite me. Lived about 8 years from 1/4 to mature female.