Davus pentaloris vs Hapalopus sp. Columbia large: comparison of the orange and black Ts?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Actually, I think D.pentaloris has more in common with the looks of a C.cyaneopubescens (GBB) sling than a Hapalopus. Just a comment though, I have no experience with H.sp.Colombia, and only recently got two slings of D.pentaloris.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I do not know how much of a difference there is between Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" large and small as far as behavior goes, but I pretty much never got to see my small. He made really cool tunnels but never left them. Pretty much a pet hole.

boina

Lady of the mites
My AF Hapalopus big is always visible, makes cool webs and tackles her food with a vengeance, unless she's in premolt. She gets seriously obese. She's pretty laid back and I haven't had a threat posture from her yet. I really love her. The AF Davus pentaloris has a somewhat higher affinity for her hide. In summer she's out pretty often and I get to see her regularly, but in winter she stays in her hide, never comes out and doesn't eat. She basically disappears for 5 months. She's done that for the last two winters since she became an adult. Then one spring day she molts, comes out a few days later and wants food :rolleyes:. In size the Davus is maybe a little bigger, but not much. She's also a bit more skittish. I like them both, but if I had to chose one it would be the Hapalopus any day.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I do not know how much of a difference there is between Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" large and small as far as behavior goes, but I pretty much never got to see my small. He made really cool tunnels but never left them. Pretty much a pet hole.
Good to know. A pet hole (at least as an adult) is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My AF Hapalopus big is always visible, makes cool webs and tackles her food with a vengeance, unless she's in premolt. She gets seriously obese. She's pretty laid back and I haven't had a threat posture from her yet. I really love her. The AF Davus pentaloris has a somewhat higher affinity for her hide. In summer she's out pretty often and I get to see her regularly, but in winter she stays in her hide, never comes out and doesn't eat. She basically disappears for 5 months. She's done that for the last two winters since she became an adult. Then one spring day she molts, comes out a few days later and wants food :rolleyes:. In size the Davus is maybe a little bigger, but not much. She's also a bit more skittish. I like them both, but if I had to chose one it would be the Hapalopus any day.
Good info. Do they web the same amount?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
No, I'd say the Hapalopus definitely webs more.
Thank you for the info. So far, it sounds like the Hapalopus large is a better overall display tarantula than the Davus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
http://www.theraphosidae.be/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Davus-pentaloris-0.1-1040x780.png

vs

http://www.terrarium.pl/uploads/monthly_03_2015/ccs-3-0-34195700-1425331442.jpg

These species have a similar look, but I am interested to hear from people with experience keeping them how they differ. Personality, size, webbing, feeding...anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks!
They are similar in their gross morphology, like having 8 legs and 2 body segments, but def. not similar in looks. I've owned both, females and males of both, and H. sp Columbia Small too.

The H sp Columbia localities are by far the MOST aggressive eaters of any T I've seen or owned. Pound for pouind they will take on prey items far larger than itself, even when they are 1/8" or less in size. They have no fear.

IME, H sp Columbia tends to be out more than a Tiger Rump.

Both are equally "nervous" species IME.

Aside from that, and their obvious difference in color and patterns, either one makes a good T to own, both very hardy.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The H sp Columbia localities are by far the MOST aggressive eaters of any T I've seen or owned. Pound for pouind they will take on prey items far larger than itself, even when they are 1/8" or less in size. They have no fear.

IME, H sp Columbia tends to be out more than a Tiger Rump.

Both are equally "nervous" species IME.

Aside from that, and their obvious difference in color and patterns, either one makes a good T to own, both very hardy.
Good info, thank you.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
My Hapalopus sp Columbia large is what keeps in interested in my t's. If it wasn't that it was always visible, hungry often and beautiful, I would have sold my other t's. Well probably not but almost. I hope it's not a male...

IMG_3607.JPG

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I have 2 of each, compared to @boina I have the exact opposite experience. My H sp Columbia large are ALWAYS hidden, I'm lucky to see either of them once every 6 months. They rarely eat. Honestly, they are both the most disappointing tarantulas I've ever owned. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for them. Both were freebies in orders I bought.
Both of my D pentaloris can most always been seen. They are aggressive eaters. I like that the have a more robust size and actually look like a tarantula. I paid for them and would do it again.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have 2 of each, compared to @boina I have the exact opposite experience. My H sp Columbia large are ALWAYS hidden, I'm lucky to see either of them once every 6 months. They rarely eat. Honestly, they are both the most disappointing tarantulas I've ever owned. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for them. Both were freebies in orders I bought.
Both of my D pentaloris can most always been seen. They are aggressive eaters. I like that the have a more robust size and actually look like a tarantula. I paid for them and would do it again.
Thanks for this info, even if it does make the decision harder.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Neither will break the bank, buy both and decide. Both have incredible color