Davus Pentaloris vs Davus Fasciatus difference and care?

JamesGSixx

Arachnopeon
So i recently bought 2 Davus Pentaloris slings from a local seller here in the Philippines and i was wondering what the care sheet for this one is? max size and growth rate? Dry/Wet substrate? Also what's the difference between D.Pentaloris and Fasciatus? Thanks

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'd implore you to do your research on a T prior to purchasing. Better knowing what you're up against and being prepared before arrival rather than having it and being caught off guard.

AFAIK (this is all second-hand knowledge as I do not own either species mentioned), D. pentaloris is a smaller species, about 4" is average for an adult, give or take. Moderate to fast growth rates. It'd seem they appreciate their substrate to be a little on the moist side, but I may be wrong. They'll burrow sometimes given the opportunity, so I'd offer them enough substrate for them to do so.

Difference between D. pentaloris and D. fasciatus is pretty obvious - the former has a bright red carapace, while the latter has a dark carapace as seen here. Unfortunately D. pentaloris are frequently erroneously labeled as D. fasciatus though, it'd seem. I believe their care is pretty similar if not the same.

JamesGSixx

Arachnopeon
I'd implore you to do your research on a T prior to purchasing. Better knowing what you're up against and being prepared before arrival rather than having it and being caught off guard.

AFAIK (this is all second-hand knowledge as I do not own either species mentioned), D. pentaloris is a smaller species, about 4" is average for an adult, give or take. Moderate to fast growth rates. It'd seem they appreciate their substrate to be a little on the moist side, but I may be wrong. They'll burrow sometimes given the opportunity, so I'd offer them enough substrate for them to do so.

Difference between D. pentaloris and D. fasciatus is pretty obvious - the former has a bright red carapace, while the latter has a dark carapace as seen here. Unfortunately D. pentaloris are frequently erroneously labeled as D. fasciatus though, it'd seem. I believe their care is pretty similar if not the same.
Thanks Arachnophoric kept a Cyclosternum Fasciatum back in 2014 and there were multiple care sheets on them wasn't sure if it applies to the Davus sp's cause the name switch confused me.
Does the pentaloris and the fasciatus have the same max size?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Thanks Arachnophoric kept a Cyclosternum Fasciatum back in 2014 and there were multiple care sheets on them wasn't sure if it applies to the Davus sp's cause the name switch confused me.
Does the pentaloris and the fasciatus have the same max size?
Not a problem, the confusion is perfectly understandable since a different species in the same genus has a name similar to the one prior to the change of nomenclature. I'd assume their maximum sizes would be pretty similar.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Quick bit of digging turned this up:

Davus pentaloris (ex. Cyclosternum pentalore) is a different species as Davus fasciatus (ex. Cyclosternum fasciatum). Davus fasciatus is not in the hobby.

Davus pentaloris was mistakenly sold on mass scale as Cyclosternum fasciatum in the past. Some still wrongly selling it as that now.

You will have 4x Davus pentaloris

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
D. fasciatus aren't in the hobby IIRC
Pretty sure I recall hearing something similar, and that anything sold as D. fasciatus was just a mislabeled D. pentaloris.

Edit - Pulled this info from a description of the species on a dealer's website;

Interestingly, D. fasciatus, currently not in the hobby, is found within the relatively narrow geographical bounds of Costa Rica. By contrast D. pentaloris is found widely throughout southern Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras.

cold blood

Staff member
Dont read care sheets....they are unreliable and often just plain incorrect.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
I wish this thread was viewed by more folks. I run into people all the time swearing they have D. fasciatus. The price I'd pay for them if it were possible to get true fasciatus in the hobby is a bit overboard but would be worth it to me. The night and day difference is such a unique contrast.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, everything we are seeing in the hobby is Davus pentaloris. They were all simply mislabeled.

I keep mine slightly moist, they don't like too much moisture though...they will burrow given the opportunity and web a considerable amount as well.